Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts for Kids quilt kit - - I need to wash first right? >

Quilts for Kids quilt kit - - I need to wash first right?

Quilts for Kids quilt kit - - I need to wash first right?

Old 02-21-2014, 10:15 AM

Default Quilts for Kids quilt kit - - I need to wash first right?

I got my first quilt kit from Quilts for Kids. I am very excited because I feel like this is a good cause. Now whenever I start any project the first step is to wash everything. This kit doesn't feel like the fabric has been washed... but its been cut. I was thinking about just putting these cut pieces into a lingerie bag and washing them before I get started.... unless you guys think I shouldn't.. since they've been cut to size I am a little unsure. But then there is so much red I hate not to prewash. The entire backing is solid red. What do you guys think? wash or not wash?
Old 02-21-2014, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

You could wash the backing if you want, but I would advise against washing the cut pieces for the top. I did one of these kits and much of the fabric was red. I simply did its first wash in a machine that uses a *lot* of water (to dilute any bleeds) and Synthrapol (which suspends loose dye particles in water so they can be rinsed away instead of settling into other fabrics). It came out fine.

In terms of shrinkage, it doesn't matter if the backing fabric is prewashed and the pieced top is not. Once the layers are quilted the batting takes control of shrinkage, meaning that with moderate quilting the batting prevents fabrics from shrinking more than the batting shrinks. (If quilting lines are 10" apart, then this does not hold as the shrinkage across 10" of fabric could exceed that of the batting.) In other words, fabric shrinks differently when washed by itself and when washed after it has been quilted to a batting.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

Exactly how I do it. I have half a dozen lingerie bags. I pre wash all material/fabric. Color catchers are great. Some will suggest synthrapol or (?) No matter what the product choice, I pre wash.
Originally Posted by meyert View Post
I got my first quilt kit from Quilts for Kids. I am very excited because I feel like this is a good cause. Now whenever I start any project the first step is to wash everything. This kit doesn't feel like the fabric has been washed... but its been cut. I was thinking about just putting these cut pieces into a lingerie bag and washing them before I get started.... unless you guys think I shouldn't.. since they've been cut to size I am a little unsure. But then there is so much red I hate not to prewash. The entire backing is solid red. What do you guys think? wash or not wash?
Old 02-21-2014, 10:30 AM

thanks for your replies... what is synthrapol? I use shout color catchers... is synthrapol a better option?
Old 02-21-2014, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

Synthrapol is a type of liquid soap. It is sold in quilt shops that cater to dyers and is also widely available online from Amazon, Dharma Trading, etc. It requires hot water to be effective. If you use it in cold water, then I would make sure the washing machine uses a *lot* of water so any dye bleeds become very diluted. Many domestic front-loading washers do not use enough water; laundromat front-loaders and domestic top loaders typically use enough water.

In my opinion, Synthrapol is more effective than color catchers (although you can use both). Color catchers pick up dye particles, but there is no guarantee they will pick up all of the loose dye particles. If you have a fabric that bleeds excessively and you don't use a lot of water, the color catchers will not be enough. Synthrapol works on preventing loose dye particles from settling back into fabric. If you have something that already has a dye bleed in it, washing repeatedly with Synthrapol in hot water will usually get rid of it. (This can occasionally save a quilt.)

Again, in my opinion, the most important thing is to use *lots* of water so any dye bleed becomes very diluted. Adding Synthrapol decreases the chance of a dye bleed even more. Color catchers are fine for small bleeds but will be overwhelmed by large bleeds.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:58 AM

Prism99 - thank you for the explanation... I will be going to Amazon to pick up a bottle of that
Old 02-21-2014, 11:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Adding Synthrapol decreases the chance of a dye bleed even more.
I want to correct myself because the above statement is misleading. Synthrapol does not prevent a dye bleed; it prevents a dye bleed from settling back into fabric.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:24 PM

I've used a number of their kits and did not prewash any of the fabrics - cut or not. I just pieced the quilt; sandwiched and then quilted. I did wash it when it was completed. Most that I had received had plenty of red but I never had an issue with them. Just my experience. They are very cute fabrics and so quick to make up. I really should get back in to making more of them.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I've used a number of their kits and did not prewash any of the fabrics - cut or not. I just pieced the quilt; sandwiched and then quilted. I did wash it when it was completed. ........
Ditto. I have done exactly the same thing with no problems and I have made a lot.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:33 PM

So actually I could sew everything up and if I am worried about the bleeding I could wash the completed quilt with that Synthrapol and color catchers?????