Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilts for kids >

quilts for kids

quilts for kids

Old 09-01-2011, 03:09 AM

Last year they moved their operations from the founders home to a new, larger location. If you'd like headquarters contact info I'd be happy to get that for you. I was never given a deadline for producing them and, in fact, still have a couple here that I need to get back to them. Their offices are not far from me so I usually drop them off and pick up kits in person.

But as others have said, they are quick and easy to make up. Truly only takes a few hours to make up the tops and they aren't overly large so the quilting doesn't take overly long either depending on how adept at MQ'ing you are. I'm not so I've just done diagonal cross hatching about 3 in. apart and they've been very happy with that.

Thank you, RV Quilter for donating to your local fire/EMS. DH is a firefighter and EMT. I'm in our local Ladies Aux. Can't tell you the number of times we've been at fire scenes where someone could have used a quilt to wrap themselves while watching their home burn to the ground. Sad times.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by RV Quilter
I contacted the closest chapter to me and it took her two weeks to answer me.
To get a kit quickly, request it from the main organization:
http://www.quiltsforkids.org/patterns/request/

I know the website says check to see if you have a local group,.... the local groups don't get the fabrics that the main group in PA gets. They get donations from different fabric companies.

My local group- we're making the quilts from our personal stashes, a few estates have donated stashes and the decorator companies donate their samples-which we have to sort through. We don't have kits made up the way the main QFK office does. But I think we are eventually going to do it.

So that may be part of the problem with you getting a kit from your local group. But she should tell you that up front. Plus the local chapters are all volunteers who just send in an email and say "I'll start a group-here's my name, address and phone number" They're added to the list and tada you have a local chapter.... so maybe it's not a well established group yet.

But anyway, good luck.