Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts for Kids >

Quilts for Kids

Quilts for Kids

Old 11-09-2009, 09:20 PM

Thank you all for sharing by making these quilts.
I received mine and was very pleased with the ballerina theme. It took only about 90 minutes to sew the top together. I could have completed it quicker, but I wanted to enjoy my time spent toward making a little, probably ill, child happy for a bit.
My grandson was hospitalized for a month after his birth. Of course I spent the entire month at the hospital. When I was not allowed to sit with him, I 'cuddled' other ill children. They were all presented with a quilt and I was amazed at how much they meant to the families. A special gift sent with love....and by loving strangers. How special.
We wished we could have personally thanked the person who made our little Isiah's quilt.
I never forgot how much this personal touch meant to us. Two years later I started quilting with a local group and we make one quilt a month for a 'giveaway.'
Sometimes they are to hospitals, local shelters, veterans, and we were able to give a quilt to every family member who lost their home in a fire.
Keep up the good work.
Thanks all of you, it is a joy to receive them and a joy to make them.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by ERhausfrau
UPS was just here with a package from "Quilts for Kids" (downy.com). I am so excited. I think I heard about this in Quiltingboard! I got a package with the neatest fabric for a small child's quilt. The colors are absolutely something else. The backing is orange with red large polka dots, the border consists of two rows; the narrow one is angled in the colors of the rainbow and the other is a wide band with bugs - cute bugs. The blocks are made up of lime green tonal and bright orange tonal and yellow with big bugs, happy bugs. It is adorable. I can't wait to get started on it.

I got to thinking - why don't we all take a few days off of what we are doing and make a quilt for these sick little children. I know I am and the directions said that it costs the same to send two quilts as it does to send one, so I am thinking - STASH!!!!! Make up another one with leftovers and send it along. It took about four days from the time I ordered it until I got it. They should make a sweet quilt to.

Just a thought, but I think a pretty darn good one and while we are sewing it together we can thank God we have healthy children, we have our health or are at least in good enough shape that we can do what we love to do and wish these children a Merry Christmas and Happy and Healthy New Year. :D Edie

Edie: Great idea. I just got the same exact fabric that you described and am starting my first little quilt today. Can't wait to see how it turns out and I, too, will be making some extra kits to hand out to my quilty friends to make more for the Quilts for Kids program.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:25 AM

Still can't get it to take my information. I sent an email to the email addy listed in hopes that I will get a reply.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:14 AM

try calling 215-295-5484 that is Quilts for kids I am sure she will be glad to help you
Old 11-10-2009, 09:27 AM
NLP

i just ordered my kit today i cannot wait till i get it!!!!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:48 AM

Sending in for two!! My daughter will be home on leave next week and we can work on them together. I am too excited! My mom is also doing it and we will be sending in an extra one too! Sounds fun...
Old 11-10-2009, 08:12 PM
NLP

i ordered my kit today and i read that they sent you the fabric for the top and the back and you have to provide the batting. but what about the binding? do they give you enough fabric for the binding?
Old 11-10-2009, 08:24 PM

I just finished my first Quilt For Kids today. The backing they provided was wide enough to do a fold-over binding. (I think that is what you would call it.) I ordered a second quilt and just got it today and can't wait to start on it.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:28 PM

ERhausfrau, I just got my kit today & mine is airplanes & really cute. I'm going to try & get it done at our Sit & Sew potluck at our local quilt shop this Sunday. I told them about it last time so I'm excited to bring the actual kit to show them. I'm going to make another one from my stash too since the pattern is so simple. My friend said I should get the other one cut out right away & then make them both at the same time. Will have to work on that.

I agree that we can be thankful for our own healthy children & it feels so good to be doing this for those that are sick.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:11 AM

I just got mine as well today. It is fire themed but with the most adorable black and white dalmations. I am so excited to work on it....as soon as I get over this sickness buisness. It IS truly beautiful though. First thought is this is really going to make some little one happy! And that is what it is all about bringing comfort to those who really need it most. God bless. (I also read about this on the board a few weeks ago so thank you to whoever brought it to my attention!)