Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilts from a lost loved one. >

quilts from a lost loved one.

quilts from a lost loved one.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
I would carefully store them. You will know when the time is right you will know what you want to do with them. Give yourself some healing time before you make any decision about them. Just my thoughts....
I second this opinion.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:02 AM

I would carefully store them. You will know when the time is right you will know what you want to do with them. Give yourself some healing time before you make any decision about them. Just my thoughts....
I second this opinion.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by grammy17
I second this opinion.
I agree, hold on to them for now. If they were regular quilts I'd say sometime in the future you might want to donate them somewwhere in her name but they are memory quilts with photos that you and other family members should keep. May in Jersey
Old 12-30-2010, 07:20 AM

I am sorry for your loss.

The "rule" in our family is that if you made it or gifted it, you get it back.

I would take the quilts and put them away for awhile. In time, I think you will be glad you did. I wouldn't make any decisions while the pain is so fresh. You may come to regret them later. Take care.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:20 AM

I made a quilt for my sister in law while she fought cancer.She used it everyday.When she passed it was returned to me.For xmas her youngest daughter asked if she could have it to take to school with her.Her mom was so proud that she was going to collage.Maybe some of your mothers grandkids would like to have one to remember their grandma.I hope this helps.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:37 AM

Keep them! Keep them! Keep them!!! Put them away for now. In years to come, they will bring comfort to you and your family. What an heirloom to pass down in the family - the picture one with your mom & family... you can't beat that!!
My mom gave me back a quilt I'd made for my folks years ago. She never used it, said it was too pretty to use, and didn't want it ruined, so gave it back to me before she died! I told her to keep it and use it, but she wanted me to have it back....
Old 12-30-2010, 07:57 AM

It must be a tough time for you right now, I am so sorry. However, hold on to those quilts. I made a quilt for my niece while she was going through chemo. When she passed away at the age of 30 almost 4 years ago I did not hesitate to ask my nephew (her brother) for the quilt back. Everytime I look at it I remember all the good times with my niece. Time will make you look at this decision differently. God Bless!
Old 12-30-2010, 08:04 AM

I lost my mother last March, and I got back a lap quilt all in shades of blue (her favorite) that I had made for her. I was using it on my bed, but it wasn't really big enough.

Then I thought about what a great baby blanket it would make for my nephew (who was very close to my mom) when he has his first son (although he's not even married yet).

So, yeah, hang on to them, the time will come when you will know what to do with them!
Old 12-30-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Marmie
thankyou. I guess it's to soon.My daughter has a cedar chest.Maybe she would keep them for me for a while.
This is a good idea...but make sure that the fabric doesn't touch the wood...
Old 12-30-2010, 08:12 AM

Don't give them away...you will probably regret it later. You have gotten good advice on here. Store them and later down the road the memories will be wonderful!