Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts for my mom and MIL - need some advice >

Quilts for my mom and MIL - need some advice

Quilts for my mom and MIL - need some advice

Old 09-29-2014, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
I don't have pattern ideas for you, but I just wanted to share something. My mom moved into a senior apartment last month where the facility also has assisted living units. It seems that almost everyone has decorations on their outer door, and some of them are quilts. I have been wanting to make a quilt for my mother using some beautiful gladiola design fabric, and I think a door hanging will be fun. Door quilts can be changed with the season. They are conversation starters, which I think is helpful for new residents.
I agree about the door art. I made my ex-mil a quilted stocking for her door-----------and a bunch of the ladies wanted one like hers. Fabric no long available.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
I don't have pattern ideas for you, but I just wanted to share something. My mom moved into a senior apartment last month where the facility also has assisted living units. It seems that almost everyone has decorations on their outer door, and some of them are quilts. I have been wanting to make a quilt for my mother using some beautiful gladiola design fabric, and I think a door hanging will be fun. Door quilts can be changed with the season. They are conversation starters, which I think is helpful for new residents.
Thanks for the idea of the quilt for the door. I will be thinking of one to make for my mother-in-law's room at the nursing home.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:47 AM

Just a note from experience....put their names on the front and back in LARGE letters. My niece regularly had to roam the halls looking for a quilt I made her mother--some resident was always taking it.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:26 AM

One thing to bear in mind, these quilts will be washed and dried by the caretakers. I do a lot of these and they usually insist on machine sewn bindings, nothing that can come loose in the quilting and nothing that requires extra care. I use a tighter stitch with a 1/4"+ seam to give it better strength. I have switched to the bindings you buy by the yard as they seem stronger than some of our thin, but expensive fabric bindings. Bright colors for dementia patients. Also, will they be using wheel chairs to get around? I make mostly lap quilts for them 50x70 seems to work for them sitting watching TV or on their bed as an additional cover. 40x50 for my wheelchair people.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:43 AM

Thank you, every one! These are all fantastic suggestions! I've bookmarked this thread so I can come back to it and work with the ideas.

My husband thinks his mother would prefer not to have a quilt representative of her childhood, so he suggested I put in blue irises, her favorite flower. If anyone has seen a panel like that, could you let me know where you saw it? Haven't had time yet to look. I think my mother would like the older style - I was surprised recently when I asked if the GGD could call her "Grammy" - she lit up and talked about how much she loved her two "Grammies" as a child.

So, I will look at all of this information and make a decision this week. Thanks, and I will continue reading any new suggestions!

PS - the practical ideas for keeping the quilt together with tightly sewn binding, and "findable" with labeling on front and back - will be very helpful. I remember my dad lost his Army cap when he was in an Alzheimer's unit, and he was so upset. Thank goodness for another old guy who gave his cap to Dad!

PPS - you guys are so great!
Old 09-29-2014, 09:08 AM

A memory Book would be good, pictures and names of who they are in a photo album and pictures of the past, as they remember things from long ago better than recent events. Pictures of her family when they were young. Same with door hanging, favorite thing with many colors so it will work for all seasons.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:18 AM

I did this quilt for my "second Mom" when she was in a nursing home - it was an easy pattern and I used a bright backing. The aids who made her bed were always at odds as to which side to put up.
Attached Thumbnails bert_2.jpg  
Old 09-29-2014, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

Great quilt, thanks for sharing.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:30 AM

Just a crazy quilt with a flannel backing would be nice. The flannel will also help with the kinkily look.

Both my mother and my MIL will be moving to assisted living in the next few months. I'd like to make each of them a throw-size quilt to use when they are sitting. I thought they might like the 30's - 40's reproduction fabric since each of them grew up during that time. Thought it might remind them of their moms and grandmas and snuggling up next to them under a nice quilt.

I've picked up quite a bit of the fabric in the last year or so, thinking I might make a quilt for myself, but I think I'd like to do these first. I'm wondering what pattern would be vintage-looking but easy, so I can do them before Christmas. This is in addition to all the other projects I have sitting around! I'm sure some of them can wait, though, and I don't know how long the moms will be able to wait. Some people adjust very well, but others don't, as you know. Also, my MIL is developing dementia - very mild now, but???

So, can you give me some suggestions? Also, to get them good and crinkly looking, would you suggest plain cotton batting? I was thinking 80-20 or 50-50, because they both get so cold. Or I could use wool, but I need to be sure neither is allergic (my husband is).

Speaking of hubby, he will be away for about 5 days this week (with his mom - I go see my mom next week). So, I thought I could just pound these quilts out!

Thanks for all your help![/QUOTE]
Old 09-29-2014, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

You could do a scrappy Irish Chain - I made one with red, white and blue fabrics for a family reunion, but for consistency I used a dark navy for consistency. But you know what, I can't remember where I put that navy blue; but by strip piecing 2 1/2" strips, sewing them together and then cutting into 2 1/2" segments, the quilt went together quickly. Something to think about - what about a Trip Around the World? Eleanor Burns has several quilts on her web site that give clear directions, and her quilts usually work up very quickly. Also, be sure to put their names on the labels, so that they can be returned after laundry.