Quilts for my mom and MIL - need some advice >

Quilts for my mom and MIL - need some advice

Quilts for my mom and MIL - need some advice

Old 09-28-2014, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
I've been planning to do this one with 30s fabrics:
http://www.quiltingwithroxanne.com/g...ly%20Winks.jpg

There is a free .pdf pattern online. Tiddlywinks by Roxanne Carter.
Here are the instructions

http://heritagequilts.org/yahoo_site...S.16692135.pdf
Old 09-28-2014, 11:56 AM

In place of embroidery, I've also seen people piece a label into the backing fabric. You can have SpoonFlower print up fabric with your labels & then piece that into your back. But embroidering or appliqueing their name on the front is also a good idea. I know my great grandma would forget to check the back of the quilts. She knew her quilt was labeled, but would forget to flip it over once Alzheimer's set in. Her retirement home also suggested that family members keep photos of important items to help in the event they got misplaced or there was a dispute. That came in handy on more than one occasion. If you can, get a pic of Mom with the quilt.

Can you ask your mom/MIL if they had any quilts as children? Maybe recreating a favorite pattern from their childhood would be fun -- plus who doesn't love hearing quilt stories?! :P All of the ideas for patterns so far would be lovely, but picking something familiar to your mom/MIL would have 2 benefits: it will bring back happy memories (giving them something positive to talk about), and if their memory starts to go, they are more likely to remember that it's their quilt.

Last edited by Bree123; 09-28-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MFord View Post
Cari, that is adorable and it looks fairly easy - I might borrow the design, if you don't mind!
Absolutely! It was very easy.

Cari
Old 09-29-2014, 02:47 AM

Thank you for the link to the Tiddlywinks quilt. My DMIL is 92. I think she would enjoy it.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

Most any quilt batting will make a quilt look wrinkly if you wash and dry it when it is finished.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:41 AM

Door quilts are a great idea! They will have to come after the lap quilts, though. I don't know the puss in a corner block - will look it up!
I am getting ready to make a lap quilt for my cousin and when I make a quilt to give to a woman, I generally make a sampler quilt - the name of the quilt could be a story, like "Lady of the Lake" block - could be a remembrance of the trips to the lake - "Cross and Crown" could be religious, "Mother's Dream" could be her family, or "Contrary Wife" could be her when she would get upset at something. Then write a story about her/him and how you feel the block has something that she could relate to. I made one for my mother and she loved it. I am now making one for my cousin - I get my patterns from Quilter's Cache - 12" blocks - I use three across - five down - it comes out to 52x80 and fits on the beds that are at the homes (my mom's did)! If there is a center square in the block, you might put in something like "What does this remind you of?" type of fabric or a picture of the family or something that means something to her. I hope this might help you.

Edie

PS - I love the door quilt idea!
Old 09-29-2014, 05:30 AM

Cari I love this quilt, I was given a package of this type fabrics. Looks almost like it's the same colors. :-) I had no clue what to do with them. I am newbie yet, can you tell me how you made the pinwheel squares and what size they are? I would love to make this quilt for one of my granddaughters. :-) Love the brightness of the blue.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:15 AM

Default couch quilt

I always use the Trip around the world pattern and cut my squares 4 1/2" and then use 3 different sized borders. that makes a couch quilt that is approx. 62 X 70. I use 5 fabrics and pick out things that frame their lives and likes. I try to find a fabric representing their line of work, one for family, if they like dogs or cats, one for faith and one for their hobby.

Hi!

Both my mother and my MIL will be moving to assisted living in the next few months. I'd like to make each of them a throw-size quilt to use when they are sitting. I thought they might like the 30's - 40's reproduction fabric since each of them grew up during that time. Thought it might remind them of their moms and grandmas and snuggling up next to them under a nice quilt.

I've picked up quite a bit of the fabric in the last year or so, thinking I might make a quilt for myself, but I think I'd like to do these first. I'm wondering what pattern would be vintage-looking but easy, so I can do them before Christmas. This is in addition to all the other projects I have sitting around! I'm sure some of them can wait, though, and I don't know how long the moms will be able to wait. Some people adjust very well, but others don't, as you know. Also, my MIL is developing dementia - very mild now, but???

So, can you give me some suggestions? Also, to get them good and crinkly looking, would you suggest plain cotton batting? I was thinking 80-20 or 50-50, because they both get so cold. Or I could use wool, but I need to be sure neither is allergic (my husband is).

Speaking of hubby, he will be away for about 5 days this week (with his mom - I go see my mom next week). So, I thought I could just pound these quilts out!

Thanks for all your help!
Old 09-29-2014, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by HillCountryGal View Post
A quick and easy pattern would be rail fence. Plus, it's a nice way to showcase fabrics.

A side note: Some facilities do all the laundry, lap quilts too. They use VERY hot water. And sadly sometimes these treasures get lost. Just a heads up. Be sure to mark/label the quilts... embroidery would be the best.
A big AMEN to this last paragraph. Be sure you label conspicuously and, if the quilt is missing when you visit, don't delay in reporting that. I have experience with this! Sadly, sticky fingers do exist in these facilities. You might make note with the facility that you will do the laundering of the quilts, too, if you are nearby. When my husband was in a facility, they put a note on his closet about the laundering. I made wall hangings for the season/month--rather small ones that were quick, easy but made his room a little more home-like. Fleece throws are quick and might be a better fit in the situation as you wouldn't have quite as many regrets if they disappear or become less quality. There are a lot of great designs available that may speak to the recipients.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:37 AM

Default So many great ideas!

When my mom moved into assisted living (also with Alzheimer disease) I made her a pillow with each of us kids on it as adults, with an additional pic in the corner of each of us as kids. This was used as a decorative pillow in her bed, along side her body in the wheelchair, and when she passed away, was with her in the casket. I didn't have a pattern, just made it up as I felt would work best. The fabric for the pics was run through my printer, (there are many types of that printable fabric) I wish I had gotten a better picture of the pillow, the only one I took is a bit blurry, but should give you an idea of what I did. Since you need 2, the work you put into the pictures would be well worth it!.
The pillow was also a good conversation piece for company and caregivers that would be with mom
Attached Thumbnails moms-pillow.jpg