Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilts with panels >

quilts with panels

quilts with panels

Old 06-22-2011, 07:34 AM

I just bought a book by Kathy Skomp called (what else?)Panels and Prints:Designs for Creative Uses of Panels and Large Scale Prints. www.lavenderlimeinspires.com
Old 06-22-2011, 07:56 AM

There are a couple of books I absolutely love: "Clever Quilts" and "Clever Quilts Encore" by Susan Teegarden Dissmore. I was never too excited about panels or theme prints until I saw the variety of beautiful and cute ways Susan Dissmore uses them. It blew my mind away and it isn't difficult because her instructions are great, plus she teaches you how to design your own quilts using panels, theme prints, and borders in an easy-to-understand way.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:18 AM

They work great. I make a lot of quilts for foster kids, so speed can be essential. They usually turn out really cute!
LindaKayCat
Old 06-22-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Shoofly1
There are a couple of books I absolutely love: "Clever Quilts" and "Clever Quilts Encore" by Susan Teegarden Dissmore. I was never too excited about panels or theme prints until I saw the variety of beautiful and cute ways Susan Dissmore uses them. It blew my mind away and it isn't difficult because her instructions are great, plus she teaches you how to design your own quilts using panels, theme prints, and borders in an easy-to-understand way.
I also have these books...yes, very easy to follow her instructions...
Old 06-22-2011, 08:55 AM
MM

Peggy, thanks for the do-it-yourself panel instructions. I have several pieces of fabric I'd like to use in quilts, but can't bear to cut them up. This method sounds like a perfect way to use them.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:09 AM

Some panels just begged to be taken home and used in a quilt.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:29 AM

I like to applique, so make a lot of "panels" but, I don't really see anything wrong with them, they do sew up fast and can really fit in if you are trying to match a theme, for a nursery, or a specific holiday or just a blanket for a kid who loves a certain cartoon character....
Old 06-22-2011, 09:57 AM

I have taken panels and cut into them and either used just parts that I need or reassemble with other fabrics inserted-I think that they are fun to play with-
Old 06-22-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by MelodyWB
I'm not in to it much..but have made a few for friends..when they like something..here's an idea of one !! I just cut the panel and built log cabin blocks around it..had to add the stripe to male it work !!
Now this I love! Great work - great idea!
Old 06-22-2011, 10:25 AM

I have cut the squares out and put new sashings and borders and they come out fine, larger panels are great for charity quilts for children.