Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilts with panels >

quilts with panels

quilts with panels

Old 06-26-2011, 04:23 PM

I am so glad I asked about useing panels in quilts for there has been some beautiful ones posted. I know many said they use them for just baby or childrens quilts and those are cute and themed for age. The most beautiful ones I've seen posted are for adults. I now know how to work up some of my wildlife, horses, and Southwestern panels into any size quilts. I had bought them just cause I liked them.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:13 PM

I've done a couple of throws and small bed quilts using panels. I enhanced the area around the panels with half-square trianges to keep the eye busy.....If I knew how to attach a photo, I would share. They turned out very nicely.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-217241.jpe   attachment-217242.jpe  
Old 06-26-2011, 05:19 PM

so....how do you attach a photo in a 'reply'????
Old 06-27-2011, 06:25 AM

Loving these panel quilts more and more. I don't think from a lot of the ones I have seen that they are cheaters cause you have to do a lot of planning, measuring, and designing to make that panel into a large quilt.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:58 AM
MM

Originally Posted by SWChick
Loving these panel quilts more and more. I don't think from a lot of the ones I have seen that they are cheaters cause you have to do a lot of planning, measuring, and designing to make that panel into a large quilt.
That's for sure! The last one I made with 8 or 9 smallish rectangular "panels" took me longer and made me use more math than any other quilt I've made. First came choosing a lot of coordinating fabrics (and for someone who agonizes over color choices that was an ordeal), next making a bunch of random pinwheels (no two the same), then interspersing the pinwheels and small blocks in between the panels, while making sure all the columns and rows were going to come out the same size. It was a challenge, but a lot of fun. I used an idea in Clever Quilts, but had to adapt it to the size of my panels, thus the need for math skills. I don't know what the "cheating" would have been :); I love using colorful pictorial panels.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:56 AM

I don't usually use panels, but they are good for a quick quilt. I made this one for my daughter, simple but classy I think.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-217583.jpe  
Old 06-27-2011, 03:17 PM

I love everyone's quilt with the panels. They are beautiful
Old 06-30-2011, 07:54 AM

If I could get my hands on the fairy series I would make 9 for GNs and then some for sale but didn't see the fabric till some quilts on the board then I couldn't find the fabric. I usually only work with SW fabrics so they weren't in my LQS.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by SWChick
If I could get my hands on the fairy series I would make 9 for GNs and then some for sale but didn't see the fabric till some quilts on the board then I couldn't find the fabric. I usually only work with SW fabrics so they weren't in my LQS.
I bought all the fairy fabric on ebay or etsy. Last time I looked (a couple weeks ago) there were still sellers selling it.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:01 AM

Thanks I will check it out.