Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts - a Question of Thread >

Quilts - a Question of Thread

Quilts - a Question of Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 01:09 AM
Power Poster

Wow!!! I have learned so much about thread in reading this :D:D:D Thank you all for sharing. I will try a topstitch needle when I get to FMQ too :D:D:D
Old 12-09-2009, 04:15 AM

Such great information! Thanks so much!
Old 12-09-2009, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
Lisa that is great info thanks! :-D

I do use the quilting thread in my machine and have had issues with the fibres gradually clogging up the eye of the needle then the thread snaps. It's not too serious - say on the FMQ of a bed quilt, it happens 2 or 3 times in total. But it always makes me say bad words because of course everytime it happens - that's FOUR more ends to sew in! I've just got some top stitch needles (on the recommendation of a more experienced friend) and am going to give those a try. They have a larger eye so should help with this. :-D
[color=blue] Yes, that quilting thread is not the recommended item. When you think of it, when you are hand quilting the needle goes up and you pull through several stitches at once, and the thread is done doing it's job.
When you are machine quilting from the time the thread leaves the spool on the machine, until it actually lands in your quilt, it has moved through a lot of pieces in your machine, and through the eye of the needle and it has experienced something completely different than the hand quilting thread.
Consequently, when you see a spool marked "quilting" thread, it is for hand quilting.
There are so many threads to choose from! I learned to machine quilt long ago from a wonderful prize winning quilter who was hooked on the Mettler thread, and consequently I am also. I have experimented with a few others recently, which I like.
It's worthwhile to ask your machine dealer what thread is recommended for your machine too, as sometimes machines are cranky about what you feed them.
And sometimes, you can be messing up your machine by using threads which are not appropriate, so i think it is worthwhile to experiment a bit with some of the threads which are specifically recommended for machine quilting on a domestic machine. If you see a thread which has a famous machine quilter's endorsement or name on it, usually that is a sign that they are using it successfully and enjoy it. I have a tendency to branch out from my comfort zone that way sometimes. But I have to say 9 times out of 10 I will take that Mettler 60/2 embroidery thread any time, for piecing or machine quilting.
If you find some products you love, be sure to share with the group!
Lisa
Old 12-10-2009, 12:36 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Thanks Lisa - the thread I buy is actually from the same company that supplied my machine and it is recommended by them for machine quilting... :-D