Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilts for soldiers >

quilts for soldiers

quilts for soldiers

Old 01-03-2010, 06:24 AM

Go to the website "Quilts of Valor". You can also check with your local VFW or also Veteran's Hospital. I haven't had a chance to start one yet, but I plan on making one for a soldier, coverlet size, that represents the state of Minnesota, with the fishing, hunting, four seasons, baseball, football, hockey, basketball and a lot of fussy-cutting to make sure I get everything in to it! And, of course, the American flag, which would not be flying, if it were not for these brave soldiers. Edie
Old 01-03-2010, 06:30 AM

I have donated fabric for these quilts. Would love to make some.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:42 AM

I have found with the coverlet quilts they are perfect for even a tall person (I made one for my husband and he is 6'5"). I use a 12" block - three across/five down/2" sashing and a 4" border. Measurements are after sewing together. Works like a charm. For what it's worth. Edie
Old 01-03-2010, 08:19 AM

Too bad the servicemen cannot take our quilts over to Iraq and Afghanistan to remind them of home!

My husband was able to take a quilt with him on his deployments because he was on an air craft carrier. He has spent 26 years in the military and our daughter was born three weeks after he left on one of his deployments. He met her when she was almost 6 months old. Now, he is getting ready to deploy again. This time, he will be in Afghanistan and not on a carrier. I get so stressed, just thinking about it. He will be gone 18 months. When he gets back, he is retiring (assuming he doesn't get promoted again and decide to stay in for another three years!). I am so ready to be done with deployments. We have been blessed to have four years of shore duty, but now I have to go through all this again. Unfortunately, we are not near any Naval base, so this time, I will not have any support. We thought it didn't make sense to move for a year and a half when he wasn't even going to be home.

Anyway, there is a group near my parents' home that makes the Quilts of Valor, but the guidelines are very strict. I would like to make one, but I have a hard time parting with quilts when I don't actually know exactly who they are going to.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:04 AM

Just remember that they are going to someone just like your husband. They are remembrances of us here that are so proud of them and love them all dearly. Our prayers go out to each and every serviceman. Quilts of Valor are made and sent to Iraq and Afghanistan and given to the wounded. Imagine the feeling of comfort and home when they receive one. I know the feeling that you get when you make a quilt. You have bonded to it and when you give it away, even as a gift, it is like losing an arm or a leg. Think of that soldier.

God bless you, your husband and your family. Please to tell him we love him for what he is doing for us. Edie
Old 01-03-2010, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie

I would like to make one, but I have a hard time parting with quilts when I don't actually know exactly who they are going to.
Misty Marie,

I'm so sorry to hear your hubby will be gone for so long. That is such a burden on your family. People just don't appreciate the sacrifices that family members make when their loved one is deployed.

You are not alone, we are here! Let us know what we can do to help, but I do understand what you mean by not having support on the local level. It is very hard for others to understand what you are going through unless they too are dealing with it.

Lastly, you can know exactly who your quilts are going to! If you use www.anysoldier.com, you can choose your recipient. It is also a great site for your husband to sign on to and get support for those he is in charge of. You can also ask your local Veteran's Association for the name of an injured soldier and you can hand deliver if they are home or mail to the hospital.

Diane