Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilts for soldiers >

quilts for soldiers

quilts for soldiers

Old 10-30-2009, 02:02 PM

Thank you. He got in touch yesterday and in good spirits and keep ok.

Some of them we've been able to hand deliver due to the Soldiers being home. It is a very humbling experience, they are true Heroes.

This quilt is a simple rail fence in red, white and blue. I found some blue fabric with little Union Jacks on it that is just perfect for the British lads.

It's a problem... the mind, isn't it :D keeps coming up with all these ideas that your hands can't keep up with.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Banned

Thank you for mentioning Soldiers Angels -- I've been wanting to "adopt" a soldier for a while now, but wasn't quite sure how. I've just now signed up to adopt a soldier, and will be sending him (or her. I can't tell from the name!!) a weekly letter, and a monthly care package.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:34 PM

I got another reply to my request for information about quilts given to soldiers at CASF. The medic who wrote to me from Iraq, said any quilts sent to them are given to injured soldiers, some who stay and get well in Iraq, some who get air lifted out, and ALL get to keep any quilts they are given.

She kiddingly made a comment about getting shot if she even considered taking a quilt back!

Diane
Old 11-06-2009, 10:55 PM

Hi everyone!
There was a question about adopting a soldier and I am not sure if this will help, but our local red cross has a program to support local soldiers wherever they may be stationed.

I forget the name of it, but they collect all kinds of goodies from the community to send packages and may be able to give you contact info.

All my best, RETRO
Old 11-07-2009, 12:25 AM

Yes, I have made quilts for our fallen hero's. Do you need help with something? Please let me know.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:33 AM

I was mainly concerned about making a special quilt for a special hero and then they couldn't take it with them. Not that I am anything special, but when I make a quilt, I always put my whole self into it (you all know what I mean) and I would hate like heck to see a soldier wounded, given a quilt and when he boards the plane to go to Germany or come home, they say "Oops, you can't take that with you."

Thanks for all your help, all of you, and now I know for sure that I will make one.

One more thing, when a make a smaller quilt - I call it a coverlet, it averages out to be around 52x80 - that is 3 across x 5 down - 12" blocks, 2" sashing, 4" border. My husband is 6'4" and I made that size for a coverlet for him and it does cover his feet. Is that size acceptable? Or do they want larger or smaller. Can I make whatever I want?

Please let me know on this.

Thanks, again. Edie
Old 11-07-2009, 04:21 AM

You guys are all wonderful - am going to look into this after the first of the year!
Our soldiers are the greatest.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:42 PM

There is a local QOV group here, but lots of rules. Some specifics are just too much, and I'd never get anything done.

My step-son is Army. I made him a quilt that started the same day as his deployment and didn't stop til he made it home. It's pictured here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/25117.page

I have ton some smaller projects as well as dabbled a bit in QOV. I do a lot of organizing and quilt work for our local VA, plus we have an Air Force Base here as well. There are National groups and local ones, so it'll take a bit of research to find what you would like to do and where you want your quilts to go.

In WWII it was bandages needed more than quilts. I find a lot of satisfaction in being useful for our men and women in uniform. I make stuffed animals, quilts, quillow's, small hangable quilted Christmas ornaments, I've even made some local Army mom's their Blue Star banners. As much as all I would like to do is make quilts, I still have a full time job and 3 small kids at home...plus people close to me that want quilts. I like to help any way I can.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:21 PM

Talked to my AF son tonight and he informed me he is going to deploy in December. I'll be starting that quilt this week!

Diane
Old 01-03-2010, 06:09 AM

I would like to send quilts to soldiers that they can keep. I am retired and I do crafts. It keeps me calm. I get fabric that may remind them of home or their childhood. For example I have "The Wizard of Oz", Dick and Jane, Superman, He Man and the masters of the universe is my nephew's favorite. I can make any size, lap or full. I call them memories quilts. I knit helmet liners also. I just need to know where to send them.