Quilts talk >

Quilts talk

Quilts talk

Old 01-20-2013, 01:53 AM

It's mostly fabric that talks to me.. It says, "Buy me."
Old 01-20-2013, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
It's mostly fabric that talks to me.. It says, "Buy me."
Yes, and some of those are really LOUD MOUTHS, aren't they?!!
Old 01-20-2013, 05:49 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one! Some of mine stop me dead in my tracks before they're done and go in the closet until I get the message, LOL.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:58 AM

Great story! Sounds like you have a lot of empathy and think a lot about the people who receive your quilts.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:16 AM

Oh yes...my quilts talk to me all the time....in a foreign language! They scream at me all the time when I am adding the wrong color border (sometimes not discovered until done) and will "not very politely" tell me that I am using an entirely wrong pattern of fmq, that it all needs to be ripped out. Sometimes I wish I could not hear the quilt because it usually causes me to do a lot of ripping, or even cost me more money as I decide to get different fabric for that border.....even though the quilt is usually right.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:44 AM

Quilts and fabric speak to me all the time. I recently finished a lap quilt and had it just the way I wanted it. As I was sandwiching it it said take that border off of me. lol
Old 01-20-2013, 06:57 AM

So it's not just me!! i know now to pay more attention.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by JanTx View Post
No, I'm not talking about talking ABOUT quilts, I'm talking about quilts talking. I'm really not loony, but it's happened too many times. If my life were a cartoon I'd have a gift bag with a name on it and the quilt would be refusing to go into that bag. Or another quilt would be jumping off the shelf to climb in instead.

I just made a red/white/black quilt for a bride. It didn't feel right the entire time I was working on it. Started a different one and ... it's hers! THe black/white/red will go to a high schooler at church when she graduates next year. It's hanging on the back of a rocker in the meantime and when I pass it I know it's Jaye's quilt.

I was making a hunting themed quilt for a college graduate. That quilt was having none of it. It wanted to go to our preacher - an avid hunter who celebrated his 10-year anniversary with our congregation. That quilt showed up for the celebration. The college grad? No quilt for him, but he has a serious sweetie and there will be one at a wedding shower, I'm sure.

I find this very strange because I don't think I'm .. intuitive?... sentimental? Not sure what the word is, but I'm very practical and down to earth. Until I get in my sewing room, that is!

I have several tops that are not finished because they haven't claimed their owners yet. When I know who they'll belong to I'll finish them, but in the meantime I'm busy enough working on ones who have picked out their people.

Weird, I know.
I have this type of thing happen all the time when crocheting afghans for baby gifts, especially if I don't really know the color choice of the mom. I figure it's my mom guiding me from above! So many times, I've put together the afghan & then found out it was just the colors the mom to be loved! I have no other explanation for it.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:48 AM

OK, now I know why the completed squares are sitting in the closet. All the time is was working on this group of fabrics I just couldn't get enthused about finishing it. I now know when the time is right it will get done. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:32 AM

I can certainly relate to that. I design my own quilts, sometimes, and I tell everyone that the fabric or the quilt tells me what to do.