Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts of Valor >

Quilts of Valor

Quilts of Valor

Old 07-30-2017, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

One older man came and asked if he could have a quilt, an WWII veteran. When told they only had one quilt left, but it was pink, he said he would be honored to take it. I think it's best to honor your own community first and not mail your quilts out.
If your quilt was machine quilted locally it wouldn't have had to be sent out.
You could have taken his name and info and registered him on the QOV site. He would have gotten an appropriate quilt with honor presentation. World War II veterans are a priority now for QOV.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:04 AM

I never checked for legality when I made DH his quilt, I just told him about the program, and he asked if I would make him one (he is a Vietnam Nam vet of the US Army). His is a queen size biscuit quilt in red, white, and blue, with his name across the center. I guess to him it is a "QOV", since that is why I made it, but it is exactly what he wanted and made just for him so he is thrilled. I have plans when I am gone to donate all of my sewing supplies thru the local VFW (in honor of my grandfathers) to be passed n to the local QOV group to use or sell as they see fit. My quilts probably would not be up to their standards and I am OK with that. We all help according to our abilities.

Last edited by madamekelly; 07-30-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:15 AM

I did the same as Chester the bunny. My neighbor retired from the military but was not in an active war area; due to being an only son/child. So I put on his label "thank you for your service". The size met QOV requirements; I just changed the wording.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:17 AM

If you are worried about calling your quilts a QOV, why not call it something else: In Honor of Service or something similar.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny View Post
If I knew of a veteran, or knew somebody who knew somebody that knew a veteran that needed/wanted a quilt, I would just make one and get it to them with a "thank you for your service, made with love" label.
I'm sure QOV has it's place as all organizations do, but sometimes grass roots does just as good a job....IMHO
Hope I didn't ruffle any feathers.
Perfect!!!! This is what I think also.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by JeffThorne View Post
Hi Cindy!
Thank you and your guild for creating Quilts of Valor!
Quilts of Valor can and should be created and awarded wherever there is a need. As you noted, truly there is a great need in your own community. The Foundation has 2 volunteer coordinators in Michigan - Jessica Kass and Judy Tritten
For more information on making presentations of the Quilts of Valor that your guild created - please contact the ladies via their email addresses - [email protected] or [email protected]
Thank you for the question and supporting America's military!
Jeff Thorne
QOVF, Marketing and Public Relations Director
Thank you for your response. I am not a member of the 'Spin off Bee' that makes the Quilts of Valor. They are members of our Guild however. As I stated, they have already done this for years and have sent hundreds of quilts, so their procedure has been established years ago and they have it down pat. I was only questioning if I could do it on my own, then donate it to our local Legion. I think my original question was answered by 'Chester the Bunny'. Hope your information can help others though, this is certainly a worthy cause.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:27 PM

My guild had made and sent off quilts but those with that passion have been finding local vets, men and women, and have been presenting them to our "locals" for the past year. These veterans may never be noticed by the national organization but are just as moved by the simple honor given through a quilt. We all contribute blocks so we feel like we are all contributors to honor our vets whether we give a block or two or if we assemble the quilt or make our own full quilt.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny View Post
If I knew of a veteran, or knew somebody who knew somebody that knew a veteran that needed/wanted a quilt, I would just make one and get it to them with a "thank you for your service, made with love" label.
I'm sure QOV has it's place as all organizations do, but sometimes grass roots does just as good a job....IMHO
Hope I didn't ruffle any feathers.
Some prefer to give personally. Giving is the point however you do it.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
Within our Guild we have a group that gets together and they have made hundreds of QOV of which are shipped to a distribution center. They have to also pay dues and pay for the shipping. The costs for doing this is actually expensive, but the ladies all pitch in from their own pockets to make the cost lighter.
We have lots of local veterans, Legions and various festivals that honor veterans. My question is: Is 'Quilts of Valor' a trademarked name or can it be used by any one for these local purposes?
I think QOV has become something akin to calling all facial tissues "Kleenex". Locally, our quilters often refer to them as "Patriotic Quilts". At the beginning of our projects, we looked into the QOV rules and decided that was not for us, but we could not prevent the participants from calling them "Quilts of Valor".
Old 08-02-2017, 11:16 AM

As a woman veteran who didn't aerve in a combat area, I just want to say thank you first of all to all you who make the quilts. Secondly, the Armed Forces have a definition of veteran status: an individual who has served 180 days or more in uniform & been discharged honorably.

As a former facilitator of a veteran support group, I made no such distinction about the status of the veteran's discharge nor their length of service. I just cared if they had served cuz life happens to all of us.

Mostly, I wanted to say that you need not have been in a combat zone or combat to be called a veteran. Okay, off my soapbox. Thanks for caring.

Last edited by chris_quilts; 08-02-2017 at 11:18 AM.