Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts of Valor >

Quilts of Valor

Quilts of Valor

Old 07-29-2017, 02:23 PM

I am making a QOV for my brother in law. Read through the QOV website because I wanted to find out if I could use the name QOV on the label. The quilt does meet their requirements since I used a free pattern that is available on their website and quilted to their specifications. My impression is that the name can be used by individual quilters and they would like you to inform them that you have presented the quilt so that it will be counted in their total of quilts. They also include links to two websites where you can purchase QOV labels and insert your relevant info. They give info for requesting a volunteer long armer but you do need to purchase a membership for about 5 dollars for that service. There is a whole lot of info to read through on the website in order to find what you are looking for. As for the shipping costs mentioned by OP, didn't notice since that was not my issue. My over all impression was that they would like to help get these special quilts presented to the military people and veterans who so deserve them.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

Oh, all our QOV quilts are machine quilted free locally by several professional LAs, so no sending off to get quilted. I guess if you independently volunteer without a group and no long armer available for free then mailing the quilt to the free one would be your expense.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:52 PM

If I knew of a veteran, or knew somebody who knew somebody that knew a veteran that needed/wanted a quilt, I would just make one and get it to them with a "thank you for your service, made with love" label.
I'm sure QOV has it's place as all organizations do, but sometimes grass roots does just as good a job....IMHO
Hope I didn't ruffle any feathers.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:09 PM
Power Poster

If I were to donate quilts to our Veterans I would just make quilts and find out where to take them. I would not want to go through any organization.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:28 AM

Hi Cindy!
Thank you and your guild for creating Quilts of Valor!
Quilts of Valor can and should be created and awarded wherever there is a need. As you noted, truly there is a great need in your own community. The Foundation has 2 volunteer coordinators in Michigan - Jessica Kass and Judy Tritten
For more information on making presentations of the Quilts of Valor that your guild created - please contact the ladies via their email addresses - [email protected] or [email protected]
Thank you for the question and supporting America's military!
Jeff Thorne
QOVF, Marketing and Public Relations Director
Old 07-30-2017, 04:39 AM

Quilts of Valor rules were put in place to avoid the issue of some quilts that were slapped dashed together and called a QOV. The Foundation wanted these quilts to be a quality product. After all, it is intended to be a "thank you" for being touched by war. You may skip tops and backs to be quilted for free by a LA if you are a a paid QOV member. You may keep you completed and QOV labeled quilt to be awarded local or you can request a destination from the QOV website. It this request is made you would be given a area where QOVs are needed. As a Delaware QOV coordinator, I am just one of many on this list. We provide a QOV for all those working at the Dover Air Force base Port Mortuary.The DE port mortuary is the largest in the US and handles almost all the service men and women killed in action The service members at AFMAO each receive a QOV at the end of their 6-9 month service there. Since these members come from all across our nation, I requested to be added to the destination list. At the height of the war we needed over 200 per year. While it is a much lower count currently, DE is such a small state we do not have enough QOVs to cover all the requests. I realize it can be a huge expense to make and ship QOVs but when I compare the cost to to the lives changed by war and have seen first hand how much these quilts make to the individuals receiving them, cost really doesn't compete. Make a QOV, keep it local or send it to a destination, but please keep thanking our veterans with quality QOVs. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:47 AM

Don't know how it all works. I do know our guild make 10 or 20 QOV a year. They are somehow registered thru QOV so they are technically official QOV. A couple of our longarmers quilt for QOV where people mail them quilts. They handle this. Contact QOV to find out how. We pass all of ours out locally or to people our guild members know.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JeffThorne View Post
Hi Cindy!
Thank you and your guild for creating Quilts of Valor!
Quilts of Valor can and should be created and awarded wherever there is a need. As you noted, truly there is a great need in your own community. The Foundation has 2 volunteer coordinators in Michigan - Jessica Kass and Judy Tritten
For more information on making presentations of the Quilts of Valor that your guild created - please contact the ladies via their email addresses - [email protected] or [email protected]
Thank you for the question and supporting America's military!
Jeff Thorne
QOVF, Marketing and Public Relations Director
thank you for your official response
Old 07-30-2017, 06:03 AM

I don't know about QOV. I do know that a guild I belonged to made several quilts to take to Jefferson Barricks (for US vets) here in St. Louis, not all of them were in the red, white and blue fabric category. One older man came and asked if he could have a quilt, an WWII veteran. When told they only had one quilt left, but it was pink, he said he would be honored to take it. I think it's best to honor your own community first and not mail your quilts out.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 View Post
I belong to a Phoenix based HUGE charity group. We support many places. We make Veteran quilts in all different sizes. They are distributed to various Veteran places here. Some are smaller and can be used in a wheelchair.

When I lived in Maryland I did the QOV thing. The postage was through an APO in New York and not too bad.
An APO address means they were actually sent overseas, possible Landstuhl Hospital in Germany?