Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts/wall hangings in the bathroom >

Quilts/wall hangings in the bathroom

Quilts/wall hangings in the bathroom

Old 10-30-2011, 05:46 PM

I have a small quilt in both of my bathrooms. One is an embroidered piece with a simple border. The other is a small foundation pieced quilt. I also have a crewel embroidered picture in one of these bathrooms. They go with the decor and if they don't last 100 years, I'm okay with that. I want to enjoy them not pack them away. :)
Old 10-30-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
Just a question -
do any of you have wallhangings or other quilt decor in your bathrooms?

I have several of my quilts/wall hangings on display and for sale at a local restaurant and when I went into the restroom (which is tiny, but has wall space) I thought I would make them something small to display in the restrooms.

Any suggestions? Patterns to use? It's a country style decor overall, even if my quilts there are a wide variety of styles.

Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie
Quilter's Pantry
I was in a Quilt Shop washroom once, & they had a Sunbonnet Sue quilt hanging on the door. It was so cute , I went home & made one for my friend. It had 5 S.Sues all wearing different shades of purple dresses & red hats & red shoes. My friend is a red hatter & just loved it.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:39 AM

Hi, I read about research done on germ circulation when toilets were flushed without the lid down -- the result was a great surge of germs travelling around the toilet/bathroom area. After that, I keep my toothbrush in a zipped bag (also stops the cockroaches feeding off the brush, but that is another story!), and no longer keep folded un-used hand towels on display. So a quilt in your own bathroom would be fine, but I certainly wouldn't be interested in buying anything that was on display in a public toilet, where most people don't put down the lid when they flush.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:27 AM

I agree with Ghostrider. Ick! Not the restroom.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:40 AM
Banned

Just a thought, but how about a decopaged,(darn I wish I could spell) quilt, do the quilt, but don't quilt it, but decopage it to ply wood, then it would stay protected, and you could wipe it clean, and people could see your work, but maybe put it above a mirror.
GOD bless.
Penny
Old 10-31-2011, 09:21 AM

I have a 30" square wall hanging in one bathroom...the kids' bathroom with LOTS of steamy showers. It's been hanging there for 8 years or so and have had no problem. Germs??? IT matches the decor of that room. Probably have lots of airborne germs in my house, as do most people.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:28 AM

I wouldn't hang one in a public place... probably not my own bathroom either... someone would try to use it as a towel!
Old 10-31-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by mmdquilts
I wouldn't hang one in a public place... probably not my own bathroom either... someone would try to use it as a towel!
LOL---they would be "dead meat" around here if they did that!
Old 10-31-2011, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Hanging something for sale in a public restroom might not be the best idea. It degrades your work and it's asking for trouble, framed or not...theft, slashing, disfiguring, absorbing odors, splashed fluids, any number of things.

It doesn't matter how small and friendly the restaurant is, the owners cannot guarantee 100% "niceness" in their customers.

Think about it, would you buy a quilt that had been hanging in a public bathroom for who knows how long? When was the last time you went shopping in a restaurant bathroom??

Sorry to be so blunt, but I think it would be a real mistake. Besides the physical danger, it gives the impression that you do not think very highly of your own work.
I do not think this is so. The place where I go on retreat has a Betty Boop quilt hanging in the bathroom that were that quilt for sale I would buy it in a heartbeat.
Quilters know that things wash and would recognize fine craftsmanship in a second. I don't think that it devalues her work at all.