Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilts/wall hangings in the bathroom

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Just a question -
    do any of you have wallhangings or other quilt decor in your bathrooms?

I have several of my quilts/wall hangings on display and for sale at a local restaurant and when I went into the restroom (which is tiny, but has wall space) I thought I would make them something small to display in the restrooms.

Any suggestions? Patterns to use? It's a country style decor overall, even if my quilts there are a wide variety of styles.

Phyllis
    QuiltingGrannie

Blog Entries
    if the bathroom is well ventilated, i don't see a problem. if it gets steamy from a shower, that could damage the quilt. but i don't think they have a shower in your restaurant :)

Blog Entries
    My advice is make is ugly so no one will walk away with it!:):):)

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    My advice is make is ugly so no one will walk away with it!:):):)
    That'd be the danger in a public place with a door! :)

Otherwise, I'd have no fear of it being in a bathroom.
    Just be sure it is a washable wall hanging!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    if the bathroom is well ventilated, i don't see a problem. if it gets steamy from a shower, that could damage the quilt. but i don't think they have a shower in your restaurant :)
    There is no shower. It is a small restaurant and someone is always near the front door, i.e. workers or the owner himself.

Blog Entries
    What if you made something small enough that could be put in a frame? Then it can't walk out the door and would stay clean.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bjeriann
    What if you made something small enough that could be put in a frame? Then it can't walk out the door and would stay clean.
    That's an idea. :)

Hanging something for sale in a public restroom might not be the best idea. It degrades your work and it's asking for trouble, framed or not...theft, slashing, disfiguring, absorbing odors, splashed fluids, any number of things.

It doesn't matter how small and friendly the restaurant is, the owners cannot guarantee 100% "niceness" in their customers.

Think about it, would you buy a quilt that had been hanging in a public bathroom for who knows how long? When was the last time you went shopping in a restaurant bathroom??

Sorry to be so blunt, but I think it would be a real mistake. Besides the physical danger, it gives the impression that you do not think very highly of your own work.

Almost every quilt store I have visited has quilts on the walls in the restroom. I agree that I wouldn't put something there that is for sale, but as a decoration it would be fine.

How about a quilt with an 'outhouse' theme?

Blog Entries
    i'd be afraid someone would steal it. hang it very high!!

My fear would be "inconsiderate" people using the quilt to wipe their hands. We all know what unsupervised children can do to a public restroom.

Blog Entries
    A quilt small enough to be in a shadow box frame with tempered glass. Nailed to the wall :)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    I'm sorry, but hanging something for sale in a public restroom is just plain dumb. It degrades your work and it's asking for trouble, framed or not...theft, slashing, disfiguring, absorbing odors, splashed fluids, any number of things.

It doesn't matter how small and friendly the restaurant is, the owners cannot guarantee 100% "niceness" in their customers.

Think about it, would you buy a quilt that had been hanging in a public bathroom for who knows how long? When was the last time you went shopping in a restaurant bathroom??

Sorry to be so blunt, but I think it would be a real mistake. Besides the physical danger, it gives the impression that you do not think very highly of your own work.
    The ones in the restrooms would only be for decoration not for sale. The ones that are out in the rest of the restaurant are for sale. I think if it is one that is framed is a better ideas to keep fingers off it also.

I live in NYC. If it isn't bolted down, it's GONE! A restaruant wanted to display my bird carvings. I said NO.....they were not in a place that was totally secure, and anyone could just walk away with one! (they take months to carve and are very expensive)

If it is a small quilt, and you can frame it under glass........that might be OK. In a bathroom, unframed, that is just too tempting to a thief!
    Remember, thieves walked away with quilts from the Houston Quilt Show a few years ago. A lot of quilt shows have losses! YIKES!!

Quote Originally Posted by A1penny
    I live in NYC. If it isn't bolted down, it's GONE! A restaruant wanted to display my bird carvings. I said NO.....they were not in a place that was totally secure, and anyone could just walk away with one! (they take months to carve and are very expensive)

If it is a small quilt, and you can frame it under glass........that might be OK. In a bathroom, unframed, that is just too tempting to a thief!
    Remember, thieves walked away with quilts from the Houston Quilt Show a few years ago. A lot of quilt shows have losses! YIKES!!
    Penny - we would love to see your bird carvings!!!

Power Poster
    I have a tiny quilt about 5X5 on a wire hanger in my bathroom. It was a little cheater block that I did hand embroidery on and machine quilted. It was too small for a regular room and just right for beside the mirror in the bathroom.

I'm sorry, but hanging something for sale in a public restroom is just plain dumb. It degrades your work and it's asking for trouble, framed or not...theft, slashing, disfiguring, absorbing odors, splashed fluids, any number of things.

I can't get past the facts that they state about uncovered toothbrushes in the bathroom, even if they are quite a distance away...ick!

I don't think I would want to sale one to someone when it had been on a bathroom wall. Soapy water, and therefore, germs would be splattered all over it. I wouldn't want to buy one that had been on a public bathroom wall either. Just too much chance for germs.

I have a few quilted wall hangings in bathrooms. I have no issues with it at all. I think they're pretty and I like them. It brightens up the room.

After we move to our new house, I'm planning on making a bunch of quilted wall hangings and ones for the bathrooms are on the top of my to do list.

I have a quilt in each bathroom 'section'. You do need to wash and dry these now and then, so don't use anything on it that isn't machine washable. Virtually every quilt store I have been in (all over the country) has one or more quilts in the bathroom. It's not a big issue. If it 'walks away' just replace it with a new small quilt.

Be careful of theft.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I made a quilt shower curtain for my bathroom. Quilts all over the house why not the bathroom. Like othrs have said I have seen them in many bathrooms. Go for it.

Anyone here watch _Kitchen Nightmares_ with Chef Gordon Ramsey? It's a reality show where he goes into a failing restaurant and does a week long overhaul/makeover to try to turn the restaurant profitable.

I'll never forget the episode where the owners were in denial of just how filthy the entire place was, so Chef Ramsey took a black light into the bathroom. Body fluids fluoresce under black light.

There was fluorescence all over the toilets, floors, walls and even the CEILING. Not just little speckles, which are usually caused by sneezes, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Glassquilt
    A quilt small enough to be in a shadow box frame with tempered glass. Nailed to the wall :)
    That would be perfect. A mini quilt.

community benefactor stitchofclass2's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Phyllis!
    After reading the 2 pages of comments, a thought occurred to me. How about the "barn quilts". It might be nice to do one of those for the bathroom. Just a thought. Yolanda Wood River

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast