Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts that you make to sell?? >

Quilts that you make to sell??

Quilts that you make to sell??

Old 07-31-2012, 05:45 PM

My mother always bought custom made comforters to match custom made drapes ordered through an interior decorator where she bought her furniture. I would think that those of you wanting to sell custom made quilts could do a good business though that type of venue. There generally is no question of price, only does the design meet the decorators specifications. A quilt in the $1-2000 range should be no trouble.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:21 AM

I have given away many a quilt... and have sold a few as well.... the prices I sell my tops and quilts for???? you mite as well say I give them away, cause I would never get what a quilt is really worth... which to me is priceless.....There is nothing like a handmade;homemade quilt from the heart gift.................... ;-)
Old 08-01-2012, 09:29 AM

Quilt by check...sent to long armer! Pay for the quilting
Old 08-01-2012, 11:01 AM

FYI - I buy tops and I KNOW I don't spend 3x materials! I spend about $40-50 each.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by ragquilter View Post
You might try quilts for sale, it is a website where individuals sell their quilts. It is hard to sell quilts for what they are worth, most people don't appreciate hand work anymore. I only make rag quilts to sell. I get material at thrift stores and I buy flannel sheets for backing and middles. Also, I find handmade jumpers for $2.50 because no one wants them. They have lots of material if they are gathered at the waist and of course the bigger the size the more material. I buy denim jumpers too. Men's shirt are good but you really have to get a deal because of the small amount of fabric. I can sell baby and lap quilts for $40 - $50 and full size for $80 - $100. You have to beat Walmart prices if you're going to a flea market or even craft shows. I sell at a local flea market and on Etsy but it is still slow except for the holidays. If you can save on your materials it will help you a lot. I also feel good about recycling instead of always buying new.
Ragquilter, I agree with you.... that's pretty much how I do it.... but i make so many scrap tops (cause I love to sew them), that I usally go on a $12.00 a top spree.....all sizes..........he he he....... ;-) and I use all kinds of material..... my favorite is old sheets and old shirts.......