Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Quilts You Will Never Make Again. LOL >

The Quilts You Will Never Make Again. LOL

The Quilts You Will Never Make Again. LOL

Old 07-31-2019, 05:45 PM

I'll never do another Jen Kingwell quilt. I got it done but her directions are lacking. I did the sweet beans and green tea or something like that. The quilt turned out great but I had to figure out every block on my own. Nope! Won't do anything by her again.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:06 PM

Storm at Sea--think I made it 3x before I actually got it finished; Bonnie Hunter mystery--while I definitely learned from her mystery quilt, but all those tiny pieces! But mainly I'm not a big mystery quilt person--I want to see how the colors used are going together before I pick my fabrics.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:12 AM
Power Poster

I seldom consider making the same quilt again- there are too many new to choose from. There are a couple patterns/ techniques I tend to consider my ( go to) patterns though. I’ve made many Bargello quilts- I love making them, numerous French braid quilts and lone stars seem to be reoccurring too.
The one I would never ( although I love them- I Hate making them) are Pineapple quilts. I may make a few blocks for something but will never make a whole quilt. To me they are the most horrendously tedious blocks I’ve ever made. Boy, I love how they look though.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-01-2019 at 04:49 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-01-2019, 03:24 AM

I truly doubt I'll ever do any of the traditionals like Double Wedding Ring and that sort of thing.
Another thing I'll never do (again) is any pattern that doesn't have an actual picture of the quilt done on the pattern. I don't want to see a graphic of the quilt, I want to see that someone really used the instructions to create the quilt I'm about to make.....One pattern I bought left me wondering if pattern designers just write up patterns and don't actually see if they work out in real life.
I will never make a Baltimore quilt...I don't do applique...
I get easily confused so I doubt I'll ever tackle one of those teeny pieced quilts from many designers, although they look great.
And, I'm unlikely to ever buy a kit, as I prefer to put together my own colours.
In the end, I like to do my own thing and that is the adventure that will likely continue.

Watson
Old 08-01-2019, 03:36 AM

I made the Metro Rings quilt, sort of a modern version of DWR. Once was enough, the directions were just too tedious for me. It looks great, but no more curves for me. Any quilt with curved piecing goes on the Do Not Do list. I was an apparel sewer for most of my life, and did enough set-in sleeves that I feel no need to ever do easing again. And will not do an applique quilt either. That is another thing I did way before there was fusible webbing and modern cutting tools. I still want to try a Storm at Sea, though. Another one I will never do is anything with hexis that have to be hand sewed. When I was a kid I collected bottle caps and sewed little circles around them, and made hot pads for all my Aunts. Never again.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-01-2019 at 04:49 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-01-2019, 03:40 AM
Power Poster

All the ones Onebyone and Sewbiz mentioned lol!!!
Also a Baltimore Album. I used to think they were gorgeous but just not into them anymore.
Add GFG and Crazy Quilt to mine.

One I would like to make again is Shakespeare in the Park. That is one of my favorites.

I also don't usually make the same thing more than once with the exception of LC.

I forgot to mention Jinny Beyer patterns. They are impossible for me!!!

Last edited by SusieQOH; 08-01-2019 at 03:52 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:48 AM

Jack's Chain and Storm at Sea top my list. Maybe pineapple, too, although I might do a few blocks for the Jen Kingwell Long Time Gone I'm starting. I'm not doing much hand applique anymore, either due to less than accurate hand-eye coordination. Those were all hard quilts, but I don't really want to make any easy ones like Disappearing Nine Patch either.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:28 AM

No BH Mystery quilts for me either. Lovely but not my "thing". I have used other BH patterns and loved the results but the tiny, little cuts and seemingly endless sewing of little pieces into bigger pieces ..... not not me. Three cheers for those who like them! I will admire from a distance. Same thoughts about some of the others mentioned.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:53 AM

Jigsaw puzzle. I made about 12 blocks at least two years ago with candies, and just don’t like it. Can you say UFO?

Any BH mystery. Too many little pieces, too much repetition, and a constant nagging question, “After all this work, will it be busy-ugly?”
Old 08-01-2019, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

I've never done a BH mystery quilt but the ones I've seen look way too busy to me.