Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quiting a piano key border?

Quiting a piano key border?

I,m wondering how you all would quilt a piano key border. I thought SID,
    but would like some other suggestions.
    Thanks for your input.
    Elaine
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

I thing quilting in the ditch would look very nice and wouldn't take away from the "keys".
    Sue

I would also stitch in the ditch so the keys would stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie View Post
    I thing quilting in the ditch would look very nice and wouldn't take away from the "keys".
    Sue
    Agreed....unless you quilt each key in a thread color that blends in....and that is a lot of changing threads! LOL

Blog Entries
    I probably would do some kind of leafy or loopy vine going up and down same direction as the "keys" and variegated thread in colors that are in the piano border, although some do look good to me stitched in the ditch.

SID looks good, but you can also quilt across them with feathers, vines, any other motif. You can use a thread that blends in or something that stands out, your choice.

Power Poster
    I've tried to puzzle that one out myself on piano keys. I have never been able to figure out how to stitch in the ditch on each seam line without backtracking (which I hate) or leaving a small section not stitched. You can run your sloppy stitching between keys out on the edge you cut off But you end up with the section along the inside border not quilted on every other key. I was certainly not going to SITD individually and have to bury all those thread ends. I gave up and put a long loop in the center of each key instead. Good luck.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...r-t187836.html

I did little loop-de-loops across a piano key border. This is a fairly small border on a table runner, but gives you an idea what it looked like. Seems like how you do it would depend on the size of the border? This would look dinky on a wider border.
    So many quilts, so little time.

Here's a link to the quilt I just finished with piano key borders. You can barely see what I did though --- I quilted at an angle starting at the center. Think of an upside down V at the center of the border and work out each way......It's just a small design, don't have to worry about getting the SID exact and doesn't distract from the border itself.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t187680.html
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma View Post
    Here's a link to the quilt I just finished with piano key borders. You can barely see what I did though --- I quilted at an angle starting at the center. Think of an upside down V at the center of the border and work out each way......It's just a small design, don't have to worry about getting the SID exact and doesn't distract from the border itself.
    That is beautiful!!! You did a fantastic job. Is that done on a longarm? I don't have a longarm, so I,m trying to do the bet I can with the HSM. Thanks for your input.

Thanks to all who offered their opinion. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by nannyrick.com View Post
    That is beautiful!!! You did a fantastic job. Is that done on a longarm? I don't have a longarm, so I,m trying to do the bet I can with the HSM. Thanks for your input.
    Dee's border treatment on her pointless stars quilt would be VERY easy to do on your HSM. Put down masking tape or painters tape to stitch next to for your straight diagonal lines or mark them with a soluble marker. Another option besides SID is to quilt on each key right next to the seam line, like an 1/8 of an inch or less away. Easier then trying to stay right in the ditch and looks just as nice if done consistently. If you piano key is your outer most border you can simply cut off your thread ends on the outside edge, the stitches should be secured by your binding.

Quote Originally Posted by nannyrick.com View Post
    Thank you -- yes, it's done on a longarm but there's no reason you can't do it on your sewing machine. Would be easy to mark the lines before you start sewing and go at it! You might think it's easier to start each line separately instead of going from one line to the other and shifting the quilt. And after reading Feline Fanatic's response -- made me think. You could do a straight stitch or a decorative stitch in the middle of each key (from the quilt out to the edge). hmmmmm I might try that one of these days!
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Blog Entries

Your quilting is beautiful. How do you tie the threads off with all the starts and stops for this beautiful quilting. I have decided I need to move from meandering to a pattern type of quilting. Not sure how to get started.
    Quilting in the Desert

I think SID would look best, would just take longer to do.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby the Quilter View Post
    Your quilting is beautiful. How do you tie the threads off with all the starts and stops for this beautiful quilting. I have decided I need to move from meandering to a pattern type of quilting. Not sure how to get started.
    I'll try to answer this with two different ways of doing it:

1) Don't tie off..... start in the area OFF the border and stitch in toward the inner border (or toward the quilt) then stitch down to the next line (stitching in the ditch to get there) and then stitch back out toward the edge off the quilt. You could actually do this in one motion without tying off. I've never done it on a DSM -- so I don't know how hard that is.

2) Rather than trying to explain how to get the bobbin thread up in the middle of a quilt, I found this tutorial....http://doodlequilts.blogspot.com/201...rt-2-free.html
    Dee

I, too, have started in the middle of the border and quilted a "V" and followed the lines to the ends of each border. The corners look nice when you do this also.

This is a good idea too. It looks really good amandasgramma

Blog Entries
    I did descending figure eights horizontally down the border in a bright multicolored thread. Name:  Jewel Box quilting.jpg
Views: 2472
Size:  1.59 MB

For me, how I would quilt the border would also depend on what the rest of the quilt is like. I would want the border quilting to compliment the central area quilting.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Blog Entries
    Whatever design you decide to use I would use variegated thread with so many colors in the piano keys. Just my opinion but I use variegated thread for hand quilting a lot on table runners.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

Blog Entries
    For my very first quilt (not knowing what I was doing) I put piano keys on the borders and using a variegated thread I went on an upward angle from the bottom to the inner narrow border and then down the next key....like an inverted "V".... I think it looks very nice and it was simple to do.
    Jinnie

Banned
    There are two suggestions for design other than SID that I might consider.
    One is a design (stencil) of music lines and notes that could be quilted in the border. Another is a continuous line stars border that might work. Both these are available from the on line stencil companies.