Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which qulting design do you like best?

This is a customer quilt. It is so pretty I want to quilt it really nice and she told me to do what I want and $ is no object...

I'd feel more comfortable offering her 2 price options so this what I came up with. Does anyone have other ideas? I'd like to hear them.

I don't draw well but I think you can get what I'm thinking of doing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I say tell her to make another identical quilt so you can do one of each :)

Honesly, I like both designs.

Ok ... I'll get logical with myself. After a long time of contemplation I think I like the "star" design from the top one, stich around the applique areas, feathers in the center frame, and cross hatching on the open areas around the applique.

My reasoning is - for the main design I like the "less is more" look of the star as it shows off the beautiful quilt more. As for the applique background I like the cross hatching because it mimics the piecing.

that is one gorgeous quilt. Whatever you decide you must show us the results.

Kas
    Wow! I love the feathers in the second one, but the first one looks like it might be easier to do over all those seams. I have never long armed before, but I wouldn't want to tackle that with my home machine. I would, however, love for you to do it for me!

Blog Entries
    I don't mean to be offensive or anything but that is why I like quilting my own quilts. Sometimes too much quilting can take away from the actual quilt pattern, I saw this at a quilt show. There was this beautiful quilt & the quilter had way too much quilting in the quilt & it really was distracting from the actual quilt pattern. Less is better in my book. Therefore I think I'd go with the first design.

Blog Entries
    i think the first design would be good.

I agree with Izaquilter. Sometimes quilts have too much quilting. It seems then that the quilt is about the quilting not the pattern or colors. I'm very simplistic about quilting my quilts. I like the design to be minimal and not tight.

I actually like the lighter version myself and it would be alot easier to do, but some like it heavier. That's why I want to offer more than 1 option for the quilt. On the other hand this quilt done in the 30's fabrics reminds me of an antique quilt therefore may warrant heirloom style quilting.

The black lines make it look heavier than it would be. I will be using an off white thread and if she chooses the feathers I would use a very light weight thread.

I agree that the quilting should not over power the quilt top, but the back if a different story. That's where we get to show our stuff.

If you are going to quilt the center so densely, then I think I would go for the second version. But if there was a way to thin the center motif, I actually like your first version better.

Blog Entries
    I like the first one. Looks like there are a lot of seams so I would go with the lighter quilting.

If its a busy pattern, I always stick to simple quilting since most of the quilting wont show and its a long process to put that all on the quilt (and lots of thread too!)

Here's what we finally decided on. Sort of in between. I really like this one, simple but still sort of traditional. I'll do crosshatching in the center and border but a wider cross hatch, not the real narrow one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    they both are pretty, but for me I would like the first one, it seems to fit the quilt pattern.

Love what you decided on, less is more!

The second one apperars more cohesive to me.Your final choice is very pleasing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    I say tell her to make another identical quilt so you can do one of each :)

Honesly, I like both designs.

Ok ... I'll get logical with myself. After a long time of contemplation I think I like the "star" design from the top one, stich around the applique areas, feathers in the center frame, and cross hatching on the open areas around the applique.

My reasoning is - for the main design I like the "less is more" look of the star as it shows off the beautiful quilt more. As for the applique background I like the cross hatching because it mimics the piecing.

that is one gorgeous quilt. Whatever you decide you must show us the results.
    My thoughts exactly. Oops, see what happens when you use quick reply?

Blog Entries
    love the one you chose! I do hope you show us another photo when it is done as your design sounds perfect

The first option most definitely!

Blog Entries
    This quilt has the design for you to follow any more and you take away from the beauty of this quilt. I just quilted a pineapple and let the quilt lead, turned out great.

Blog Entries
    Love what you decided on! I was thinking while I was reading that you needed something somewhere between the 2 designs you had at the beginning. This seems to happen to me all the time...start drawing what you "think" will work and it morphs into something totally different! Its going to be gorgeous when you are done, please be sure to show us!

Blog Entries
    IMHO, simpler is the best. Too much quilting in a space drives me crazy. Stippling and pebbling are two things that I will not do.

Just MHO.

Edited to add: The quilt itself is delightful. The colors are very pleasing together.
    And now that I saw your stitching choice, I really like it. Nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by Izaquilter
    I don't mean to be offensive or anything but that is why I like quilting my own quilts. Sometimes too much quilting can take away from the actual quilt pattern, I saw this at a quilt show. There was this beautiful quilt & the quilter had way too much quilting in the quilt & it really was distracting from the actual quilt pattern. Less is better in my book. Therefore I think I'd go with the first design.
    So funny how we all think differently. I was just thinking the exact opposite. I'm thinking- this is why i'm sending my next quilt away to be done. I could no way even come close to quilting such beautiful designs on my bernina. And I like the first on on the top!

First version for the pinapple looking blocks...then in the center, I would opt to echo the appliques, and instead of the feathers in the yellow sashings, I'd opt for a more open leafy vine...with just a few leaves, a curvy line and a tendral out now and again...maybe a small flower in the very center with tendrals leading to the vines going in all directions.
    On the border, I'd also echo the applique...maybe twice..and have tendrals come out to fill in more open areas. Sometimes a little less quilting makes the quilt. If you want to stay with the theme of the 30's fabrics, leave out any stippling/meandering..stick with simple echos, vines, leaves and if you don't like the idea of tendrals (like the little squigleys off a grapevine), then do straight lines from the appliques out on the border, skipping over the applique, that you will have echoed already. Keep those lines straight and even out like piano keys.
    Do the same for the inside blocks where the appliqued flowers are.

Quote Originally Posted by bamamama
    This is a customer quilt. It is so pretty I want to quilt it really nice and she told me to do what I want and $ is no object...

I'd feel more comfortable offering her 2 price options so this what I came up with. Does anyone have other ideas? I'd like to hear them.

I don't draw well but I think you can get what I'm thinking of doing.

Quote Originally Posted by bamamama
    Here's what we finally decided on. Sort of in between. I really like this one, simple but still sort of traditional. I'll do crosshatching in the center and border but a wider cross hatch, not the real narrow one.
    PERFECT!!! :-D

Blog Entries
    I agree to a certain extent. I think even the first design is a bit busy for the design of the quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Izaquilter

AGREED 100% it seems today that everyone wants to quilt so much that you can't even see the fabrics or quilt design.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast