Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P Sewing Machine...

unfortunately the computer component of my machine is bent almost in half, and it no longer recognizes that my foot pendal is plugged into the machine. i am however looking forward to finding a new one :)

Senior Member Dorothy of Kansas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My condolences on your loss of your machine. Hopefully, you'll get something even better!! Kiss your mom and honey for being so good to you, too!! Congrats on getting your ring, too. He sounds like a keeper for sure!!

Blog Entries
    Go to EBay and look for your particular machine. You may be lucky!
    My son in law dropped my daughter's very expensive camera in the ocean a couple of years ago. They happened to tell a friend about it. The friend went on EBay and found the exact camera at a fraction of the original cost. The friend also was able to get the camera and do the work to make sure it worked like new since that is his expertise.
    If you find the machine, you could have someone work on it for you to "reconstitute it" if it needs anything. Also, on EBay, the seller must tell you the truth about it or you can send it back to them.
    I know that shipping expensive on heavier items but I did buy a Brother machine on EBay a few years back and the seller paid the shipping. Perhaps you could work out something whereby the seller would pay the shipping if the machine was not what he/she siad it was.
    Anyway, it is worth looking into UNLESS you are going to invest in a Bernina or something. However, it sounds like you were in love with that machine.

Blog Entries
    Also, sometimes these shops have machines that are actually brand new except they were used as demonstrators at shows and are very much discounted.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like you need to stay off those stairs! What a wonderful blessing you have in have in your life! There aren't many men who would be so good to their woman.

Blog Entries
    Try a local repairman. Mine had about 25 older machines for sale, less than $100. He also had a new Janome. There may be other options besides Wal-Mart as I found out after buying a new Singer for $199.99. I bought a 301A for $75 and a 457 Stylist ZigZag for $85. I love the little 301A, I haven't tried the 457 as yet (need to get some bobbins). I found a guy on eBay who sells 30 bobbins (Featherweight/301A) for $11.99. He also has bobbins for the 457 (30 for $11.99) as well. He has all types of bobbins available and I got the 60 I bought within three days. Next week I will order 60 for the 457 and I will be all set.

This might be another option if you have a reliable repairman who has used/cleaned/serviced machines for sale.

Ouch:< Another place is looking on Craigs list. That way you can buy used, local and not mess or pay for shipping. I've been scouring my local CR for a back-up. People list TONS of Singers, Whites and Brothers...

O honey, i just want to give ya a hug. I feel so bad for you. What precious loved ones you have..

congrats on your engagement! I'm so sorry to hear of the accident, but as others have said, you have many other blessings in your life. I hope you can replace with something soon. Please stay away from the stairs!!

I got mine at Overstock.com 60 dollars its a Janome 11543 Heavy-Duty Sewing Machine. Works great, would be a nice "back up until you find a replacement for your beloved machine. Good luck on your search.

sewing machine
    Name:  Attachment-6121.jpe
Views: 13
Size:  25.5 KB

When you are ready for that new machine, there are several internet sites that are good. I always use allbrands.com. I have purchased 4 machines for family and friends and never had a single problem. I have also purchased irons, coffee pots and sewing machine accessories. Most shipping is free on their machines and they always run specials. Know what you need, whether it be decorative stitches, embroidery or a good solid quilting/sewing machine. There are several Janome computerized machines on sale from 3$00- and up.
    DinTX

I agree. Try your homeowner insurance. My granddaughter spilled bleach on my DD NEW living room carpet and they replaced it for her. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Good luck!!!

Marlo

Blog Entries
    I am glad you were not hurt..physically, anyways.. I would definately call my insurance company and ask them IF it is covered by the policy....tell them it was dropped and broken by accident.....and I hope you get a wonderful new machine to replace it! You have 2 super good people who love you and that is worth so much!

Blog Entries
    Oh, I'm so sorry! I could cry for you! It's so hard to stop kicking yourself after you do something like that. I could see myself doing that so easily. I carry a riciculous amount of stuff to keep from making two trips sometimes! :(

I wanted to cry too, just reading your story. There are so many ways to replace your machine-Ebay, Craig's List, a trade in at a Sew and Vac shop, etc. I hope you are able to replace yours soon. In the meantime, it sounds like your mom and your honey are looking out for you. :-D

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Im sorry about your machine, but you are truly loved.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your machine, but what a wonderful gestures from people that love you!

can you repair the feed dogs on the temp and use that as the backup?

SO sorry to here about your machine glad you werent hurt

I am so sorry that you had such a sad thing happen. I know I would go bonkers without my machine. I am glad that you weren't hurt (this time). You are so blessed to be surrounded by folks who love you so much.
    Good luck on a new machine. I hope you can find just what you want.

:o( Other than your tears I hope there was no other fluid (of the red color) that was shed. Mom's are the best and your fiance sounds like a keeper. What model Brother was it?

Are you close to middle of Ill. , if so I have a extra machine that you can have.

How old was the machine? On the home owners, ours is a $500 deductable so didn't cost much more to replace and it didn't go on the insurance as a claim to raise the premium.
    I would look at a place that has in house repair, JoAnn's dose NOT. Sometimes you can get a better machine used for the $money's you are going to spend than buying one at WalMart.
    You have a bit to think about it. Nice mother to loan her machine.... I am like so of the others here I have a couple of back up's , About the time I didn't have a machine would be when I though I needed it most... I hope your bruses are gone soon. ANd a new machine for your BD.

I don't know what condition your machine is from the fall but you mentioned the feed dogs. These are sometimes easily replaced on some machines, and very cheap to replace. Call a sewing machine repair store and ask for a price on the feed dogs of your machine. If that's all that's wrong with the machine, you might want to consider replacing them. Some machine feed dogs are only two screws, take out and screw them in. Another consideration is to watch the thrift stores or Craigslist for a machine if you don't want to spend too much on a machine at this time. Just make sure the bobbin assembly is in the machine and the wheel turns freely.

Note to self - do not carry sewing machine and anything else down the stairs at the same time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast