Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rag Quilt Question >

Rag Quilt Question

Rag Quilt Question

Old 03-23-2011, 08:22 PM

I just did a Google search for rag quilt patterns. This is a good site: http://quilting.about.com/od/ragquil...uilt_basic.htm

Also, I use 1/2" seams to get a pretty bloom. If you want a bigger bloom, you can do a larger seam. I feel like this is big enough.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:29 PM

Thank you so much Lynn for all the answers. I will try this soon.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

raggy quilts come out GREAT using a regular cotton top and flannel back...i've made them with flannel for the batting too. i've used regular cotton batting, and i've made them with no middle layer...they all come out great...
and for raggy quilts (i've made and sold 50+ of them) i have NEVER prewashed any fabric used. i do not pre=wash the flannel or the cottons. i do stitch a cross (or something) across each block before construction. I have never had one come out weird shaped or funky from inconsistant shrinkage...or any other issues ... mixed fabrics flannel, cotton, homespuns really make great ones.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:27 AM

Making a rag quilt is on my list of quilts to make so I can’t speak from experience. I’ve read up about them. Some people have said that because flannel shrinks so much that they wash it in hot water and dry on high once or twice. I would buy extra flannel to account for shrinkage.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:45 AM

I have made several rag quilts and usually make them with flannel on both sides and batting in the middle, with 1/2" seams. They are warm and cuddly and my grandkids love them. You do have to cut the batting 1" smaller than the squares and you must sew an X. I also recently made a strip rag quilt and did not use any batting and there is no need to sew an X. It was super easy. here is a link if you are interested. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-107067-1.htm
Old 03-24-2011, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by GwynR
I just finished one that is cotton on one side, flannel on the other, and warm and natural in the middle. It washed up beautifully and then disappeared when my son grabbed it and ran! He loves it!
this is ALWAYS how I've made them. My oldest rag quilt is nearing 7 years old (given to my goddaughter before they brought her home from China) wow, time flies. The quilt looks as good now as it did then despite the years of being loved and loved and loved.