Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rag Quilt Question >

Rag Quilt Question

Rag Quilt Question

Old 02-27-2012, 05:07 PM

Whatever you do .... you DO NOT want the batting inside the block seam allowances and ragged. That is why there is an X or other design sewn across the block.

I do flannel rag quilts because I like the weight and the look of them.

I am sooo glad Fiskars makes the rag snips. Now it is even fun to do the snipping of the seams.

I do go to the laundromat after I finish my quilt and wet it there, then put it in a dryer without heat. I frequently remove the built up lint. Once there isn't much lint coming off the quilt I do dry it. No way do I want to clog my washer or dryer up with all that lint.

ali
Old 02-27-2012, 05:08 PM

Whatever you do .... you DO NOT want the batting inside the block seam allowances and ragged. That is why there is an X or other design sewn across the block.

I do flannel rag quilts because I like the weight and the look of them.

I am sooo glad Fiskars makes the rag snips. Now it is even fun to do the snipping of the seams.

I do go to the laundromat after I finish my quilt and wet it there, then put it in a dryer without heat. I frequently remove the built up lint. Once there isn't much lint coming off the quilt I do dry it. No way do I want to clog my washer or dryer up with all that lint.

ali
Old 02-27-2012, 05:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Arleners View Post
All the explanations here are good, but I tend to think the fluffiest are the ones that use three layers of flannel that are cut to the same size and then clipped. I never make them with batting anymore. It's too much work trying to center the batting, and I like the fluffy look. I also wash the quilt a number of times to make sure the edges are really raggy.
This is how I do it too.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:36 PM

I followed instructions from Bonnie Hunter's website www.quiltville.com which included a full 1 inch seam allowance. Believe she called the pattern Raggedy Bricks (it uses squares and rectangles). I used homespuns one side, 100% cottons on the other and cotton batting cut 1 " smaller all around with the X sewn diagonally both directions. It is still a WIP but I would think the 1" seam would be "fluffier" after clipping than a 1/2" seam, though heavier as well. We shall see. I like the idea of using flannel same size as the others pieces instead of batting cut smaller and will try that if there is a next time!
Old 02-27-2012, 06:45 PM

I've made baby quilts with flannel, cut the 'rags' and took them to the laundromat to wash and dry. They turned out very fluffy, soft and cuddley. I worried about all the lint in my washer and dryer. I have two ready to clip and head out to the laundromat. Also, I do not wash my flannel before sewing.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:08 PM

I have made quite a few, and the ones that I like best are the ones with only a 1/2 inch seam allowance. I believe they tend to stand up better and look nicer. the one inch seam allowance is too long and allows the material to lay over. just my opinion, but I made four of them for Christmas this year and many more before that.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:46 PM

LOL and the instructions I used said to use 3/4 inch seams!! So the answer is, it depends!!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:52 PM

I have made 1 rag quilt and I was pleased with how it turned out. I did not use "batting" in my squares. I used my Accuquilt Go and rag die. I used a layer of cotton for the front and 2 layers of flannel for the batting and backing. I didn't even sew the "X" in the block. I used a dark blue flannel for my middle layer and a gold color for my backing. I think it turned out great! It is a lap quilt and it is just the right weight for watching tv under. Lots of fluffy ragged edges. I did prewash my fabrics just because that is what I do. I did wash it twice before gifting it.
Attached Thumbnails 102_2795.jpg  
Old 02-27-2012, 08:15 PM

I made two recently without a pattern, pre-washed my flannel and made the mistake of using Warm and Natural batting cut the same size as the squares. Boy, was THAT a mistake!! The next one I used an 80/20 batting cut 1" smaller and it was better. Next, I might just use flannel for all three layers and 3/4" seams. I pre-washed the flannel with color catchers and then washed it again when finished with color catchers and dried in the dryer and the colors still ran! I have washed it twice more, and I still can't believe the amount of lint I get! They are getting well-used by my grown son's while watching TV and they aren't complaining, so it wasn't a total waste. I can't wait to make another, this time using squares and rectangles with the flannel I have.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:13 AM

ckcowl~I've only made rag quilts out of flannel, but want to make my next one out of cotton front and back w/flannel in the middle. I'm concerned about the shrinkage of the flannel. Should I prewash it? If it shrinks too much will it pull or bunch the cotton, which will not be prewashed.