Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rag Quilt Question >

Rag Quilt Question

Rag Quilt Question

Old 06-07-2012, 10:46 AM

Default Rag Quilt Question

Thinking of making a rag quilt for the first time for my new grand-daughter. I am going to use flannel and warm-n-natural for the batting. I was wondering instead of making the "X" on the squares if I couldn't use my embroidery machine to embroider on the squares instead. Then I was wondering how I would hoop them all or if I should just embroider the top squares first then cut them to size and make the sandwich with the batting and bottom square.

If anyone has done this before I would be interested in any hints or tips that you can give me.

Thanks!!

Mindy-WI
Old 06-07-2012, 10:59 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

You need to sew all three pieces together because the batting will ball up inside if you don't. I learned that the hard way.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:01 AM

I can't answer your question about embroidery, but there are so many members who will be able to help you. I make my rag quilts using a cheap flannel instead of batting. I cut the flannel the same size square as the front and back square piece and I sew a scant 1" seams. This makes it a great rag seam and you can either quilt the block or not. Now my quilting friends are making their rag quilts this way, too.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

The reason for the X is to secure the 3 layers together. If you embroider through all layers, then you achieve the same result. If you only embroider the top, then your little sandwiches will be floppy and the batting will bunch in the center.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

Dumb question - but I don't know the answer-

If one uses batting in a rag quilt - say the fabric square is 6 inches and one is going to use half inch seams -
Would you cut the batting only five inches square so it doesn't get caught in the joining seams?
Old 06-07-2012, 11:17 AM

I live in So. CA where 2 layers of flannel is the perfect weight so I don't have to deal with the batting issue. I made 7 sofa throws for friends Christmas gifts a couple of years ago. They still tell me how much they love them.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Dumb question - but I don't know the answer-

If one uses batting in a rag quilt - say the fabric square is 6 inches and one is going to use half inch seams -
Would you cut the batting only five inches square so it doesn't get caught in the joining seams?
I cut my batting smaller.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by murphzmom View Post
Thinking of making a rag quilt for the first time for my new grand-daughter. I am going to use flannel and warm-n-natural for the batting. I was wondering instead of making the "X" on the squares if I couldn't use my embroidery machine to embroider on the squares instead. Then I was wondering how I would hoop them all or if I should just embroider the top squares first then cut them to size and make the sandwich with the batting and bottom square.

If anyone has done this before I would be interested in any hints or tips that you can give me.

Thanks!!

Mindy-WI
I made one a few years ago and I just used three layers of flannel, no batting. I cut my squares, layered the 3 squares and embroidered them. Then I put them together in the quilt.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Power Poster

Bear I cut the batting smaller- but I use polyester batting - so it doesn't poke out but I think if you were using flannel it wouldn't matter as much other than adding extra bulk to the seams
Old 06-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

I'm another one who uses 3 layers of flannel rather than batting. That means no quilting at all (you just sew the flannel triplets together), but if you wanted to embroider the flannel before joining them it would look great. I like using flannel in the middle because - less work, no x's to quilt, and more edges to fluff up and give the rag quilt its great look. You don't even have to use 3 layers - could use only 2 for a lighter weight quilt.