Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rag Quilt Question

If I want to make a rag quilt, can I just use 3 layers of flannel, instead of 2 layers of flannel & 1 of batting?

Will 3 layers of flannel "rag up" nicely or will it look too skimpy?

I want to make some small quilts for the neonatal unit at one of our hospitals.

3 layers of flannel works just fine. That is what I use and they rag up beautifully!

I just made one like that for a 12 yr old girl for Christmas. Just be careful with washing it, or it will lock up your washing machine. (Ask me how I know)...

My advice, if you make one using all flannel, don't use your own washer to wash it...

Blog Entries
    Personally, I like three layers of flannel.

I didn't use batting in mine

Blog Entries
    You should check with the hospital that they will take them - most want all the seams sewn tightly. The raggedy seams would get caught in the equipment and such :lol:

And they don't recommended raggy quilts for infants because of the lose threads - even healthy children

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    You should check with the hospital that they will take them - most want all the seams sewn tightly. The raggedy seams would get caught in the equipment and such :lol:

And they don't recommended raggy quilts for infants because of the lose threads - even healthy children
    If you find the hospital would prefer not to have the rag quilts, try making one with 2 pieces of fleece, no center piece (it's warm and heavy enough). It doesn't rag, doesn't shed in the washer/dryer and the cut ends "fluff" vs. rag and it looks really nice.

Blog Entries
    I would check with the hospital first, to see what their guidelines are... some may take fleece and others may not :wink: :D:D:D

Thanks all for the info. Will check with hospital first.

I bet three layers of flannel would be really warm too!

Glad I read this I was just gonna sew flanal squares together. Guess I better do some research!

PS:
    Not trying to put a damper on your kind heart but teeny tiny fingers and toes may get caught around strings,flanel would be snuggly but maybe just not the rag type.;)

Blog Entries
    I missed that they were going to the hospital. Our hospital would not accept a rag quilt or fleece. They also have specific sizes that they can use. I guess I need to read more carefully.

Blog Entries
    If you plan to use the same size for all 3 layers, just realize that you will need to cut through 6 (SIX) layers of fabric on the raggedy edge. Ouchie for those poor wrists.

Blog Entries
    I would not make one for a hospital, but for a healthy baby, if you cut your squares on the straight grain of the fabric, there will be no threads longer that the 3/4" or 1" that you leave to fluff when you sew the seams. I made mine with three layers. It was adorable, but I won't do it again. Too hard on my hands. A daughter wants one. I told her I'd make it and she could do the cutting.

If you wash and dry twice and take it outside and shake it, there aren't many threads that still want to shed. My washer didn't mind, but if it did, I'd wash it in a lingerie bag and let the dryer do the fluffing.

Quote Originally Posted by raedar63
    Glad I read this I was just gonna sew flanal squares together. Guess I better do some research!

PS:
    Not trying to put a damper on your kind heart but teeny tiny fingers and toes may get caught around strings,flanel would be snuggly but maybe just not the rag type.;)
    Ditto on this :) I wouldn't think a rag quilt would be too good for babies. See what the hospital recommends.

Rag quilts should never be made for babies.
    All the strings are a choking hazard.

The three layers of flannel will work fine.

Since I live in Fla., I simply used flannel on both sides with no batting in between. I am sure it will be just fine.

Blog Entries
    I always use 3 layers of flannel. I think it rags much prettier that way. I also found that if I put the finished quilt in the dryer BEFORE I wash it, some of the lint will be removed then. It seems to help me.

Judy in Missouri

Quote Originally Posted by sewingladydi
    If I want to make a rag quilt, can I just use 3 layers of flannel, instead of 2 layers of flannel & 1 of batting?

Will 3 layers of flannel "rag up" nicely or will it look too skimpy?

I want to make some small quilts for the neonatal unit at one of our hospitals.
    I use three layers, too, and it's just fine. Just be sure your three colors all go together, because the middle will show up much more than you think!

When washing my rag quilt I can pull my drain hose from the washing machine and hang in in the sink this is in the basement and I cover the hose with soft screen you can get at home depot and catch all my threads. You wouldn't belive how much comes off of your flannel.

That sounds just fine to me.
    They work at keeping the babies warm but the bassinets have heat lights attached so thick might be too hot.

On Sewing with Nancy, she used a scalloped type rotary blade to trim around the edge of the blanket.

I have used 3 layers of flannel with no batting used and it worked out fine. I wash flannel first then sew together and it does not shed so bad.

I made one with flannel on the front, fleece on the back. I put cotton batting in the middle. If I did it again, I'd leave out the batting. It was really hard to cut the fringies...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast