Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rag Quilt Question >

Rag Quilt Question

Rag Quilt Question

Old 01-14-2011, 09:40 PM

I would wash it again and dry it, but make sure you clean the lint tray in the dryer several times during the dry cycle. Hopefully that will help. Good luck.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:43 PM

They make a small/medium hand held device to remove the lint balls from clothes and/or any fabric that gets them. I have used mine on sweaters, tee shirts, flannel shirts and throw pillows with no damage to the fabric. It's one of the items you see advertised/sold on TV. It's powered by flash light batteries and costs in the $10-$15 range. I got mine at the local CVS drug store before Christmas, however, you should be able to purchase one at any place that sells the as seen on TV products. I do not remember what it's actually called and the name is not on the device it's self. It's well worth the money because it really refreshes cloths that looks worn due to the lint balls on them.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:27 AM

I brush mine with an old dollar store fine bristle hair brush. An 80 yr old lady taught me that trick. My larger blue jean rag quilt I vacuum. Yep you read that right, I lay it on the floor and vacuum. Ive made the darn thing 4 years ago and it still sheds after its washed. But we love it, nice and warm.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

also if you have one of those battery operated pill/fuzzy razors that remove bumps off sweaters, that would work.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:26 PM

Thank you all for the comments/suggestions. There's a couple steps I would take differently, if I make another similar quilt, based on suggestions you have made. In addition, I did find the battery operated lint remover. That worked perfectly for my current quilt. It is getting rid of the majority of the remaining lint (although it is very time-consuming).

Thanks again for all your suggestions!