Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rag Quilt >

Rag Quilt

Rag Quilt

Old 02-28-2010, 08:44 AM

I was wondering if there is a tutorial for making a rag quilt. I have some flannel that was given to me and some of the squares are already cut and I thought right away about a rag quilt and wondered if there was a tutorial out there or if somebody knew of a free pattern for one. Thanks so much for the help.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:50 AM

When I did mine I just cut 3 layers of 5" squares (could use any size you want), So you use the 3 layers as one block, you sew all the "blocks" together with a 1/2 inch seam allowance, and then clip the seams in about 1/4 inch (so you leave 1/4 inch unclipped). The clips are about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch apart. I didn't even sew an x in each block or anything. It was very simple.

Rachel
Old 02-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

Some like to sew an X or a circle in the center of the blocks...but you are just layering the 3 fabrics sewing a 1/2" like already described seam line..(I would shorten the stitch length,) and then clip as described.
Purchasing a pair of spring loaded scissors make clipping much easier on the hands :wink:
Old 02-28-2010, 03:23 PM

Thanks so much, I knew it couldn't be that hard but just wasn't sure.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:17 PM

I have made several flannel rag quilts. Using 2 lays of fabric works great. I don't do the X thing. Lots and lots of ravels after washed. I run mind thur the rinse cycle several times.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:22 PM

Fun quilt to do. I have made two for my DGD, warm too. I also do two layers and the x thing. Have fun with yours. Used flannel by the way. Someone told me that you can also use one layer of flannel and one regular cotton.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:20 PM

I just did an Internet search for "rag quilt" when I did mine and found a tutorial that way. I made one for my DGD out of bright batiks and matching one for her doll bed. It turned out really well! Enjoy
Old 03-01-2010, 09:16 AM

If you want a summer quilt, you can use 2 layers of flannel, otherwise use 3 layers or 2 layers and a piece of light batting that is 1 inch smaller than your squares.
Stack your squares with right sides facing out. If you use batting place the batting in the center of your squares and sew and x from corner to corner to hold the batting in place.
Sew the squares together in rows until yu have the width you want your quilt. Use at least 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch seams to be cut to "rag"
Sew your rows together trying to match your squares as close as possible.
Either use a binding or do a double fold and sew it down for the outside edge.
Cut your seams every 1/4 to 1/2 inch being very careful not to cut your stitching line.
Take to the nearest laundromat to wash and dry your quilt after your finish it. (I never did explain to my husband how our laundry drain got plugged :mrgreen: ) If you do wash it at home, put it into a mesh laundry bag or pillow case to help catch the fuzzies and lint.
Cathy
Old 03-01-2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinggrandmaca
I was wondering if there is a tutorial for making a rag quilt. I have some flannel that was given to me and some of the squares are already cut and I thought right away about a rag quilt and wondered if there was a tutorial out there or if somebody knew of a free pattern for one. Thanks so much for the help.
You may want to check out Maya's Flannel Quilt that I posted I Saturday. Her's was made from different widths of strips. I know you stated that you have squares already cut out, but this one was so simple and she had a great time making it. I think it took her about 6 hours from start to finish.