Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rag Quilt >

Rag Quilt

Rag Quilt

Old 11-18-2010, 07:32 PM

Help, this is my first time trying a rag quilt. I think i understand most of what iv'e read BUT do I cut out corners or just snip to the end? is it better to snip when all put together or snip as you go? Im using flannel all three layers do i make batting same size and snip it also? Or make batting smaller and just snip top and bottom. appreciate any help thanks.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Power Poster

I have made several and because I have trouble even after carpal tunnel surgery I clip as I go. It is just personal preference. If I use all flannel, I cut them the same size. If I use batting, I cut it smaller. I clip corners, but I am not sure what you are really supposed to do. I am sure someone will tell me if I am wrong...
Old 11-18-2010, 07:40 PM

I think just cut within about an inch of the corners. I have a die for the rag squares and the corner is not cut at all.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:42 PM

if you use batting cut it smaller because it won't fray. some ppl don't like to use batting, but living in the NW I sure do! I found when I snip, the corners get gone because the snips meet! I snipped the whole thing after putting it together, just cuddled up with it on a cold night and snipped away. I also found that the blisters that formed rubbed off. That hurt! Snip a few, figure out where the scissors are rubbing you and use some moleskin or wrap some bandaids around it. The blisters made me remember why I LOVE my rotary cutter, and I added moleskin to my sewing supplies.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:54 PM

I'v only used 2 layers of flannel and don't feel the need for batting, but thats a personal choice
Old 11-18-2010, 11:48 PM

i just made 3 for xmas. used batting in only one b/c was using old cut up pj's of my daughters that she wanted to save but not wear and b/c she wore them so much they were rather thin. the other two were new flannel and both those kids get warm easily so didn't want to make it too heavy to use if it was for me i think i would need 2 layers of batting - cause i get sooooo cold!
Old 11-19-2010, 02:16 AM
Power Poster

usually your batting squares are 1" smaller than the outsides, so if making 9" squares your batting is 8" placed in the center and(quilted)... lots of people just stitch an X across each square to keep the batting from shifting. then an easier way to get the clipping done is, as you join each row of blocks go ahead and clip the joining seams (which will not have anything more added to them) then the next row and keep going then as i join each row i clip the in-between seam...so by the time it's all together i only have to clip around the outside. it is easier that way than to sit and try to cut the whole thing at once. i love raggy quilts with flannel and warm&natural...and i've experimented alot. a couple i even cut my batt the same size and let it (show) in the fringe. it turned out ok...definitly fuller in the clipped edge...but was very noticable, so if i were going to do that again i think i would dye the batting to match. but it works so well with the smaller batt squares...
anyway, once you start making them, everyone's gonna want one! they are so soft/fluffy and great to snuggle up with!
Old 11-19-2010, 04:52 AM

You didn't ask about this but......Someone on here said to make sure that you take it to a public laundry mat for the first couple of times that you wash it because they can really clog up your machines.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:40 AM
bj

If you haven't already invested in some, and plan to make more rag quilts in your future, I advise getting the spring-type scissors. They're a lot easier on your hands.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
You didn't ask about this but......Someone on here said to make sure that you take it to a public laundry mat for the first couple of times that you wash it because they can really clog up your machines.
I wondered about that. I really don't like using laundromats (I used to and saw personally what some people put in them-we live in a farming community-use your imagination) but maybe I would have to for this.