Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
rag quilting... >

rag quilting...

rag quilting...

Old 07-27-2011, 08:56 AM

You can do what ever you like doing. I will have to admit that last year when I started doing HST & flying geese and anything w/triangles I thought I'd never get the hang of it. Still not so fond of flying geese but not willing to give up. If I didn't have good teachers at my LQS to help I would have given up. Alot of people have problems w/these some do not. Just like some are naturals at FMQ and here I am trying to get my nerves up to make myself to learn. But the main thing when it comes to quilting or anything else in life that is made to make you happy; enjoy the part of it that you do; no matter what it is. Rag quilting is alot of fun to do.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:01 AM

Do what you love in quilting! Mine will probably all be strip pieced somehow because I love sewing strips! I also want my quilts to be used up. Keep up having fun! What else is a hobby for?
Old 07-27-2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lorettan
Originally Posted by grayma
I have thought about making a rag quilt, but it seems so difficult. I might try one someday.

Oh my goodness no! Take two squares, rectagles...whatever you like...wrong sides together with some batting sandwiched in between and sew an " X ". Going from one corner to an opposite corner. Then when all your blocks are done...arrange how you like and sew them all together. No border/binding required. Just sew around the outside about 1/2 inch. Then your gonna clip all your seems. Wash and dry and your done! Let me know if i could be of any more help.
You can do it this way or my way; I use the accuquilt cutter and then all I do is the sandwiching, sewing the X and joining them together. They are the easiest things to do; you can use flannel, fleece or even demin and produce great quilts. Your sandwiching can be with or without batting. I then applique designs on the back to make it a reversible quilt.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:15 PM

i even bought a walking foot for my machine(Brother) to use when i sewing my rag squares together and i don't like it....i'm probably the only one who doesn't like it!...lol
Old 07-27-2011, 09:20 PM

Nothing is wrong with that.

What is probably better is to gradually expose yourself through some quilting classes to increase your quilting skills. Exceedingly few quilters just overnite became adept at the skills we use in our craft. Practice, practice, practice. ... and having good quilting buddies.

ali
Old 07-27-2011, 09:57 PM

I am still a beginner and still love to play with rag quilts as well as basic pieced....We all quilt for our own reasons and as long as we enjoy what we do we are doing it right. If you want to try something I have started a few appliques on my rag quilts
Attached Thumbnails attachment-232679.jpe  
Old 07-28-2011, 03:48 AM

quilting is quilting to each his own
Old 07-28-2011, 04:03 AM

You should do what you enjoy!! If you haven't taken a class from a good quilting instructor, you might also try that... it helped me so much!

Enjoy those rag quilts, though... You must remember that the recipients of your quilts will LOVE them!!
Old 07-28-2011, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Marshalea
I am still a beginner and still love to play with rag quilts as well as basic pieced....We all quilt for our own reasons and as long as we enjoy what we do we are doing it right. If you want to try something I have started a few appliques on my rag quilts
how do you do the applique? would love to do that on the next fall themed rag quilt i'm gonna make
Old 07-28-2011, 04:15 AM

Learning, and growing at your own rate gives the best results.
That yields personal satisfaction when the quilt is completed, perfect or not, and, whether anyone else approves does not matter. You have grown in ability and you can see it right in front of you. To keep on growing is so important. That is what keeps a quilter interested in continuing the work.