Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In a rage >

In a rage

In a rage

Old 07-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

I haven't had any bad luck with quilt kits so far. I usually end up with extra fabric. I usually buy quilt kits from quilt shops I trust, that make up their kits at the store. The sample quilt is always washed so the store knows if the fabric will bleed. I have bought several kits from well known online shops and have been very pleased. Eleanor Burns has excellent quilt kits, and so does Fons and Porter. If I had to fussy cut quilt pieces I would never have enough fabric, I can't fussy cut worth a darn.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I haven't had any bad luck with quilt kits so far. I usually end up with extra fabric. I usually buy quilt kits from quilt shops I trust, that make up their kits at the store. The sample quilt is always washed so the store knows if the fabric will bleed. I have bought several kits from well known online shops and have been very pleased. Eleanor Burns has excellent quilt kits, and so does Fons and Porter. If I had to fussy cut quilt pieces I would never have enough fabric, I can't fussy cut worth a darn.
Thank you! Evidently I can't either!
Old 07-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

I am so sorry you have had such a rotten experience with your kits. It's ridiculous of a kit maker to not provide enough so that the resulting kit can be washed, when it is clearly meant for a baby. I have only bought one kit, and haven't finished it yet. It is for a queen sized bed quilt, and I am half way through, and so far, all the trimmings will probably be enough to make a pillow shame when I am done. If it carries on in the same vein, then I will have two pillow shams. So, in short, not all kits are as shoddy as these you have had the misfortune to buy. I would write back to the company and (politely) let them know how disappointed you are, and that frankly, you don't think that you will ever be able to recommend them to any of your friends. You never know, you might get a refund!
Old 07-15-2009, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I am so sorry you have had such a rotten experience with your kits. It's ridiculous of a kit maker to not provide enough so that the resulting kit can be washed, when it is clearly meant for a baby. I have only bought one kit, and haven't finished it yet. It is for a queen sized bed quilt, and I am half way through, and so far, all the trimmings will probably be enough to make a pillow shame when I am done. If it carries on in the same vein, then I will have two pillow shams. So, in short, not all kits are as shoddy as these you have had the misfortune to buy. I would write back to the company and (politely) let them know how disappointed you are, and that frankly, you don't think that you will ever be able to recommend them to any of your friends. You never know, you might get a refund!
I am going to. But I also don't know if I'm a bad quilter. I'm new at this. But raveling fabric makes me nuts, obviously. Thanks for your input. Pam
Old 07-15-2009, 04:18 PM

Hang in there! A smaller quilt will be a cuter quilt! You may flex some brain muscles figuring out the math, but the result will be an adorable quilt. You can do it!
Old 07-15-2009, 04:37 PM

Thank you Chele - I'm doing that. These will be cuddly, not perfect. I am a wreck about my daughter and her twins. I have to settle down. Pam
Old 07-15-2009, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

I have never bought a kit other than for a couple of wall hangings, and then I changed the color on one of them as I didn't like the fabric they supplied.

Good luck getting it all worked out, take your time, they won't mind if it is a little late in getting there. celebrate the arrival.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

raveling fabric has absolutely nothing to do with your skill as a quilter

miserable fabric is miserable fabric and the pits to work with
Old 07-15-2009, 06:30 PM

I hate kits...
Most I have found don't have the exact fabrics that drew you to buy the quilt in the first place.
I have never washed the pieces in a quilt...I have washed them after and they turned out ok.
I find it easier, and just as much money to find a pattern, pick my own fabrics and go from there!!!
Plus if I get a bit extra fabric then I have a 'fudge" factor!
Kirsten
Old 07-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Power Poster

Sorry you are having problems with the kits! But I want to know do you know what you are having yet? Boys girls are they identical or fraternal?
We have twin grandsons and it is an experience!! I used 2 of those long low plastic bins that slide under your bed for cots for them til they outgrew them. Lined them with blankets and set them on the dining room table out of any drafts. Worked great!
Hope everything goes well! Hope you post pictures of the babies!!