Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Rail Fence Pattern

Good Morning Ladies.
    I think I have a very easy question although after looking on internet, and through magazines I am unable to solve my problem.
    I am looking for a very easy Rail Fence Pattern done in strips, not blocks. I have some lovely shabby chic fabiric that I would like to make a twin size quilt.
    I have found this pattern done in squares, but would like to do just strips. I can't seem to find out how much fabric I would need. I have already started cutting strips 2 1/2 in wide by 22in long not thinking I would have a problem finding a pattern.
    Once again I have put the cart before the horse.
    Thank You for all your help.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I don't think I understand the question. The rail fence pattern is based on strips AND blocks. The trick to the design is that the strips are always in the same order and the blocks are turned in the same way.

How do you think a row of strips can become a fence if it's not cut? scratching head.

Maybe i have the wrong name. Okay let me try. Just a quilt with stripes going all along the quilt. no squares cut.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I don't think I understand the question. The rail fence pattern is based on strips AND blocks. The trick to the design is that the strips are always in the same order and the blocks are turned in the same way.

How do you think a row of strips can become a fence if it's not cut? scratching head.
    I thought it was me so I didn't respond. Glad to see it isn't.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, that's not a rail fence.

So you have some pretty fabrics and you want to cut stripes and sew the stripes together for the top center - is that right?

Do you want the stripes to go lengthwise on the bed, or crosswise?

How big do you want to make the quilt itself?
    How much fabric do you have of each?
    How many fabrics do you have?

Depending on the above answers is the determining factor if you will need to piece the stripes or if you could cut length of fabric for a single long piece.

Blog Entries
    Do a search for this subject-
    "What type of quilt is this called? " It's from a few yrs ago but there is a picture of a quilt and I was wondering if that is the type you are looking for. It was a post from Amma, alittle ways down the page.

Thank You for your answer. Didn't mean to sound so crazy. Can you tell I am new? Blocks it is. I better think again before I post so I don't confuse everyone. :cry:

Here is the link: www.straw.com/equilters under rail fence. There are 20 different pictures all different layouts. It is 5 strips across and 18 strips down. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Antman
    Here is the link: www.straw.com/equilters under rail fence. There are 20 different pictures all different layouts. It is 5 strips across and 18 strips down. :lol:
    Wow, there are a lot of different options. Gives a whole new outlook on rail fence quilt arrangements. Thanks for posting this site. I don't have a solution for your original question but any of these you decide to do should be beautiful and I would definitely say--pick one of the non-traditional settings. Looking forward to seeing you post your work in progress.

Oh, and don't worry about confusing anyone--sometimes it takes a couple of posts and questions to figure out just what someone is looking for or asking about. Keep coming back with those ideas and questions.

Blog Entries
    http://www.thriftyideastoday.com/201...ck-series.html
    I have a video of how to do a fence rail on my blog

Thanks sooo much ladies! Things are looking up! I appreciate
    the kind advice and support. I knew I could come here for help.
    Lovin the many videos!
    Barbara

You would have to cut your strips into blocks and then the arrangement is what makes the different designs--variegated colors, zigzags, braids, whichever you want.

To make it twin size, 72 x 90" and presuming you will use 3 strips of 3 different fabrics cut down to 6" (finished size) blocks and without borders--you will need 2 and 1/8th yards of each fabric. I would count on 2.5 yards at least though if you've all ready cut a bunch into 22" strips. My calculations are based on 44" strips (Width of Fabric).

When you say strips no blocks maybe you're thinking of Super Fast Jelly-roll quilt ? That is just long strips. Look for in tutorials or do a search and it will come up.

I think what you are looking for is called a lasagna quilt. Here is a picture of one:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-44258-4.htm
    I've also seen them made with shorter strips joined so your 22 inch strips should work. Turning the strips sideways to make the border gives it some more interest.

Beautiful! My list of "Have To's" is growing with every post.
    Thanks Again,
    Barbara