Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rapid Fire Hunter's Star ruler ?

Rapid Fire Hunter's Star ruler ?

Has anyone used this to make a Hunter's Star quilt? I am going to make 1 for my niece as a wedding gift. Have printed a tute from Cascade Quilts that uses 3-4 charm packs that I was going to use, then saw the video on this ruler & am rethinking how to make the quilt. Looks like there will be fewer seams to quilt over & just wonder what you thought of the ruler if you used it. Thank you. Vickie

I have used this ruler to make two quilts. The things I don't like are that there is some waste of fabric and the process can be tedious. The things I like are that the seams "nest" and the finished product is PERFECT! This is a quilt I made for QOV using fat quarters. Good Luck!

Name:  hunterstar.jpg
Views: 2079
Size:  540.6 KB

I have an old PP pattern that I have never used. I haven't seen the ruler. LOVE your quilt luana. Some service person is going to adore this quilt!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I am in the process of making a quilt using this ruler. Mostly I like the result. I think the process is rather demanding. The You-tube video was a bit confusing to me and I had to watch it several times along the way.

I have layer cake, and jelly roll, do I get the large hunter star template
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

mkc
    I used the ruler to make a 96" square quilt for my brother, then a couple of pillow shams. I had to refer back to the instructions a couple of times, but everything lined up perfectly. Name:  Hunters Star.jpg
Views: 1947
Size:  181.8 KB

I also used the ruler to make this one for my sister. A really fun ruler. I first saw it on u tube and had to try it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I'm getting ready to put one together for my oldest son who is an avid hunter (he eats what he harvests). I have a pp pattern and couple others. Just can't justify the cost of the ruler. All of the above quilts are beautiful but the cost holds me back because of one quilt.

I the bought the Rapid Fire ruler and it's great for piecing the block but a little tedious. I used it to make one quilt. I bought the Hunter Star Die for my Go and that is the best way for me. I've made many of the Hunter star blocks using the die cuts.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I have it but I've never used it...
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Some of my friends and I have shared the ruler so it didn't cost each one of us so much. That might be an idea for you to consider. It does take some getting used to but I've gotten to watch her for about 3 yrs. in a row demonstrate the ruler at Paducah quilt show. You just can't beat the precision and the fact that the blocks are a little big and you get to trim them down to perfect size.

Thank you all! The quilts posted are wonderful! I have a multi colored batik I am pulling colors from for the stars & to use as the border. It looks like the ruler would be the best way to go. Since I have purchased a Bernina 710, the table for it & a new laptop in the last year I can't justify, to myself, purchasing a die cutter. DH would say 'if it's useful, do it'. Something to think about for next year.

An additional question similar to Dolphingirl's. Which size ruler? Am I correct that each block is 1/4 of the full block? So if I make the 6" block my finished block would be 12"?

Blog Entries
    Sorry can't help with which size. I made this runner using hunter star and did not use a ruler. Can't remember if it was a pattern or my own design. If you think about diagonal join on binding that is how I made the stars. It just takes time too work out sizes and direction.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by DOTTYMO; 05-09-2015 at 10:18 PM.
    Finished is better than a UFO

mkc, what delicious colors in your Hunter's Star quilt and the layout is a knockout.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

I have it & used it for one quilt, so far but plan to do more. Makes a very striking quilt as you can see from the pictures that have already been posted. Beautiful quilts ladies, by the way. Love them all.
    Dance like no one is watching

I make my Hunter's Star blocks with my Accuquilt GO. They are so simple and easy to put together.

Lauan.......wow that's fire cracking pretty!!
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

Mic....RedGarnet....
    Wow on yours too!!
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

Ooops...dottytwo, missed yours, it's pretty!

Such beautiful quilts. Wish I had the talents needed to make these quilts.

Fons and Porter that has a tutorial for paper piecing the Hunters Star. I have both the small and the large ruler and love them.
    Carmen E.

Blog Entries
    I love love this video for this ruler....I found the original video was confusing for me but understood much better with this video https://youtu.be/_UNiJu7ccjQ

Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    I'm getting ready to put one together for my oldest son who is an avid hunter (he eats what he harvests). I have a pp pattern and couple others. Just can't justify the cost of the ruler. All of the above quilts are beautiful but the cost holds me back because of one quilt.

Oh don't think that. I bought the ruler for a class and made a tabletopper. I had not planned on using it but that one time. It was so easy I made four tabletoppers for Christmas gifts for friends. It was worth buying. Now I have the Go and the hunter star die.

I have it and have made 3 quilts with it and love it. Although there is a little fabric waste after you have used the ruler once you and use the smaller fabric requirement and be fine. Everything lines up perfectly!

Quote Originally Posted by luana View Post
    I have used this ruler to make two quilts. The things I don't like are that there is some waste of fabric and the process can be tedious. The things I like are that the seams "nest" and the finished product is PERFECT! This is a quilt I made for QOV using fat quarters. Good Luck!

Name:  hunterstar.jpg
Views: 2079
Size:  540.6 KB
    Never heard of the ruler but LOVE your quilt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast