Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A rather silly question...

superior threads web site link below has alot of information on needles and thread

http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...e-right-needle

I use the ball point Stretch needles for free motion on quilts (woven fabrics & cotton batting), because of the longer scarf (sp?) the thread lies better & prevents loopies & broken threads. It does a fantastic job & stays sharp, or should that be dull & round?-LOL, for hours of free motion.

I would send a question like that to www.schmetz.com and see what they have to say about it. They have lots of good info on their website about the different machine needles and what they are used for. They may respond with a good answer that you can share with all of us.

I have used ball piont needles for years, use to use them lots when sewing garments years ago. My Juki calls for only organ needles and that is all I use. I have other machines I can use them on, but, don't use those machines. I change needles more now then I did now. Maybe cotton is harder on needles or quality of needles different?

Don't ever think a question is silly if we can learn from the answers. Yes, ball point needles will and do become dull. They are made for knit fabrics so a hole isn't made piercing the fabric the needle moves between the weave of the fabric. I would not recommend using them for cotton fabric as they will make holes in the fabric because the tip has too round of a point, and the cotton fabrics have a tighter weave. Hope this helps?

Suzy

I think there are too many needles and we don't need most of them. I use 90/14 for heavier fabric and 80/12 for everything else, unless I'm using metallic thread and then I use a metallic needle.

I change my needle if it gets bent. Just lay it on the flat part of the top of your machine, if it isn't straight, toss it.

I change my needle when I hear a "thwacking" sound when I sew. If it's "thwacking" it's no longer sharp enough for sewing so time to change it.

When you are quilting, batting can really dull a needle so listen for that "thwacking" sound.

I've never used a ball point needle, even when I've sewed on knits, and I've never had a problem. I use twin needles on my knits a lot, I love twin needles.

My machine came with organ needles but I really never knew whether organ is a brand or a type. Can you help with that?

organ is a brand

Hello a question is never silly, dumb, or stupid, until you want to know the answer and don't ask, so keep asking question i learn a lot from other people question lol :-P

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzy
    Don't ever think a question is silly if we can learn from the answers. Yes, ball point needles will and do become dull. They are made for knit fabrics so a hole isn't made piercing the fabric the needle moves between the weave of the fabric. I would not recommend using them for cotton fabric as they will make holes in the fabric because the tip has too round of a point, and the cotton fabrics have a tighter weave. Hope this helps?

Suzy
    I am embroidering on satin and certain pieces have "run" or "pulled". I was just told to try the ball point needle on that but now am wondering if it will make a hole in the satin.

Quote Originally Posted by jbsstrawberry
    I'm wondering...

Do ball point needles ever go dull?
    I've been using one for quite some time now and it's still doing a wonderful job going thru the fabric for the donation blankets.
    I have never used them.

you could try sharpening it on a piece of emery board to get a little more use out of it. I think they don't exactly get more round,... but maybe more blunt, and tend to break the fibers when they go into the fabric.

I really like this website. Seems like I learn something new almost every time I go on. And I've been sewing for over 50 years.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I would try the micro tec needle maybe a size 60 or 70. they have a sharp point but are very slim and nice for many different fabrics such as satin. I use them for piecing in quilting and such but when they are in the machine and I need to do other sewing I've used them with no problems. Make very nice seams. Schmetz makes them. good Luck

Suzy

Yes needles do get dull. You can damage your fabric when you try to sew with a dull needle. Ball points are for knits. Get some universal needles they work really well for cottons. The needle should be changed every 6-8 hours of sewing or even sooner if your thread is shredding or breaking then you really need a new needle. If you are using decorative thread then you should use a large eye needle for ex: 14/90

Quote Originally Posted by annerose
    Ball points are for knits. Get some universal needles they work really well for cottons.

Yes, I've known the use for ball points for a few years or sew ;) LOL

I am actually sewing squares into nine patches from dbl knit/poly fabric.

Thanks for all the great answers. I'll let you know how long this particular needle lasts. Can't sew yet...but will be able to start again soon. (antibiotics interrupt Enbrel therapy...so kinda too sore to sew right now)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2