Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Raw Edge Applique Washable ?  Seriously... >

Raw Edge Applique Washable ? Seriously...

Raw Edge Applique Washable ? Seriously...

Old 05-04-2011, 06:10 PM

I do raw edge applique all the time, it's my favorite method.
Use heat and bond lite following the directions and applique it on using a machine blanket stitch or zigzag stitch. If you have used the heat and bond lite properly and have stitched it down, it is there to stay!
Old 05-04-2011, 06:36 PM

Use a narrow or wide zigzag stitch with the stitches close together, (like a satin stitch). This will keep your raw edge applique from fraying. Learned this in a class and only did it once so far but it seems to work. There are other stitches you can also use if you have them on your machine and it would probably also make a difference if it's something like a wall hanging or a quilt that will be washed a little more frequently. Good luck with your project.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by LouBert
I love to needle turn but want to try a full size quilt using raw edge, I am sooo not sure that the edges will not look frayed after washing, I need reassurance from your experience...thank you
There is a product called Liquid Stitch. Just follow the directions on the tube. It can be found in most Walmarts. This is permanent and easy to do. Patsy Thompson has a youtube video using this product and states that you do not have to machine stitch over it. Check it out.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by LouBert
I love to needle turn but want to try a full size quilt using raw edge, I am sooo not sure that the edges will not look frayed after washing, I need reassurance from your experience...thank you
I love to do Raw edge applique, I perfer not to use a stableizer. this quilt has been used and wash many times. It keeps looking better and better.

I like to use a stitch like the overcast or chicken foot or other decorative. I have never had a problem that couldnt be fixed. If an edge gets unsewn just sew back over it!

raw edge applique
[ATTACH=CONFIG]193161[/ATTACH]

wedding quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]193162[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-193155.jpe   attachment-193156.jpe  
Old 05-05-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
I'm working on a raw edge applique now. I'm FMQing the edges of each piece with polyester monofilament to the muslin backing. I also plan on doing a fair amount of FMQ "thread paint" when I quilt it. I tried to make my monofilament stitches as close to the edge as possible.

I know some of the edges are going to fray slightly.

What I don't know is the intended use of the quilt (wall hanging or "used" lap throw) because it's a gift, so I can't ask :) I will however tell the recipient that some of the edges might fray, but should not "come apart" and if that look is Ok with her then by all means use it and wash on gentle cycle when needed - preferably in a front loader.
Awesome Quilt!!
Old 05-05-2011, 12:48 PM

I do raw edge applique deliberately. I want them to fray and get fussy. A crib quilt with frayed edges around a duck, a dog or a cat are adorable. Then of course, I don't stop there. I also do eyes and some highlights.

Originally Posted by craftoholic
The only raw edge,I've ever done, I did a satin stitch around it, just out of this very fear... I'd like to know too. I've seen others suggest steam a seam underneath to prohibit fraying.. But is there a way to do with with out steam a seam, etc???
Thanks for asking this question.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:56 PM

I do a raw edge applique by stitching very close to the edge with clear monofilament thread and a blanket stitch with the colored thread.

I do the colored blanket stitch before sandwiching the quilt, once sandwiched with batting & backing, I do a free motion stitch around each of the motifs. This acts are quilting as well as securing the motif.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:09 PM

I sew machine blanket stitch on some of my applique quilts. Will fray as well?
Sorry I didn't read all the answers.