Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Rayon in a quilt top?

Rayon in a quilt top?

I picked up a sari at a thrift shop today that I want to use as a "focus" in a quilt. Really it will be most of the quilt top and then I'll have a series of borders around it to make it out to the size I want.

The fabric is all one piece and is 100% rayon...what kind of trouble am I going to get myself into with this? It is woven like cotton, actually looks and feels a lot like quilting cotton but the label says 100% rayon. I know rayon can fray so I'm planning on using 1/2" seams around the rayon part and leaving the existing edges intact (2 sides are hemmed, the other 2 sides are selvedges that I will leave on; it's all pretty thin so I don't think it'll get too bulky) Anything else I should worry about? It's used and I can tell it's been laundered plenty so I'm not worried about bleeding. Any reason I can't mix this with cotton borders or should I look for more rayon to finish the top? Cotton thread, or poly? I have both on hand.

It's a batik Ganesh design, in really bright colors (teal, yellow, tangerine, lime). Really cheery, I just love it!

maybe use fusible lining for lightweight/sheer fabrics. I did this when I was making a quilt for a friend using some of her old silk camisoles and it worked out great.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Rayon shrinks unevenly, but if this item has been laundered that has probably already occurred. I would wash it before using it, just to be sure.

maybe use fusible lining for lightweight/sheer fabrics. I did this when I was making a quilt for a friend using some of her old silk camisoles and it worked out great.
    Ohh, that's a good idea! It is somewhat sheer, and that will help with any fraying problems too.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    Rayon shrinks unevenly, but if this item has been laundered that has probably already occurred. I would wash it before using it, just to be sure.
    Oh definitely, I have it in the wash now. It seems clean but I always wash everything from thrift shops! You just never know where something has been...

Power Poster
    ​After washing, try ironing a piece of it to see how it reacts to the heat. It might be fine but you don't want to get any surprises when you press your quilt blocks.

Blog Entries
    Get some Pellon SF101 fusible interfacing. This is my go to interfacing. Lightweight and works perfectly for stabilization. You can buy iy by the yard at Joann's. here's a video on hoe to use it. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b_ygfG5...%3Db_ygfG5YuKA
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig