Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Razor >

Razor

Razor

Old 03-20-2007, 04:55 AM

I am so glad to hear that your razor cutter is working well. We were all feeling a bit uncomfortable when you told us about using it to cut fabric.. Who knows, you may develop a new cutting tool for quilters. And it is not nearly as expensive as the rotary cutters.

About the pins. I have pinched nerves and little feeling sensation in my fingers, so I find the large quilting pins with the yellow balls on top, to be the things I can get hold of and pull out. We each have our own problems, and after a bit of trying, we find what works best for us.

Keep on Quilting.

June
Old 03-20-2007, 07:23 AM

I have 2 Olfa 1 Fiskars and 3 dritz and 1 Kia (various sizes) my favorite is the dritz and then the Kia. I use thr dritz more often paricaly because I can get the blades easier. But the Kia has a softer handle and a safty cover on blade that only moves while cutting.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:02 PM

Like that block you have showing,that is the Stack n Whack I just finished it .Is'nt it amazing how each block is so different Wilma
Old 03-24-2007, 11:43 AM

Glad to hear you all say nice things about Olfa as I just purchased two cutters and a mat on sale a Joanne's as a starter pack. It came with an 18mm, and a 45mm rotary cutter and an 18X12in cutting mat. The 3 pc. kit was on sale and was like $17.00 for the 3 items. The regular price on this size mat would have been in the neighbor hood of $24.00. Haven't tried them yet. But, was quite proud of my "score" at the time and feel even better hearing OLFA users giving the brand a thumbs up! Tho am somewhat surprised to hear Fiskars being given a lower rating as I have always sworn by the brands sissors.? :shock:
Old 10-15-2011, 02:24 AM

I use the long pins with the yellow balls. I wish I knew which brand I bought. they are nice and sharp and go right throw the fabric. I have had others that don't.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:03 AM

I buy the pins with yellow balls through J Hittle who is a wholesaler, but sells to the public. I think the quantity is about 500 pines. He also has good prices on rotary cutter blades at 10 blades for about $15. as well as other items. If you order $100 worth, you get free shipping.

http://jhittlesewing.funoverload.com...new_items.html

I have also seen those same pins at WalMart but they are more expensive in small quantity. I figure that I am going to be sewing for a long time, so why not stock up and not have to reorder.
June in Cincinnati
Old 10-15-2011, 03:21 AM

Love this site...that website is very interesting. would you use the fusible batting to make totes/bags?
Originally Posted by june6995
I buy the pins with yellow balls through J Hittle who is a wholesaler, but sells to the public. I think the quantity is about 500 pines. He also has good prices on rotary cutter blades at 10 blades for about $15. as well as other items. If you order $100 worth, you get free shipping.

http://jhittlesewing.funoverload.com...new_items.html

I have also seen those same pins at WalMart but they are more expensive in small quantity. I figure that I am going to be sewing for a long time, so why not stock up and not have to reorder.
June in Cincinnati
Old 10-15-2011, 03:26 AM

Carol, when I made bags back about 4 years ago, I used some left-over batting and use some spray baste to hold it together until I quilted the pieces. I only quilted the body of the bag. But if you have it on hand, I don't see why you could not use the fusible batting. It sure would make the job easier.

June in Cincinnati
Old 10-15-2011, 09:57 AM

Thanks!! After breaking 4 needles...ruined my Supreme slider I finally just finished my Uncles quilt so plan on trying to make a Cubby Charm bag.
Originally Posted by june6995
Carol, when I made bags back about 4 years ago, I used some left-over batting and use some spray baste to hold it together until I quilted the pieces. I only quilted the body of the bag. But if you have it on hand, I don't see why you could not use the fusible batting. It sure would make the job easier.

June in Cincinnati