Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Re:  Quilting Spaces >

Re: Quilting Spaces

Re: Quilting Spaces

Old 05-20-2011, 11:12 AM

My basement is going to be my sewing haven REAL soon...we moved here about 5 years ago and now I am clearing out the basement and the 2 unfinished rooms are going to be mine....
and like told my daughter the other day I may just spread my sewing room all over the basement....I can always close the door and leave it no one else goes down there but grand daughters and I done gave then aroom of their own down there.But my other house sewing room was where I sat my sewing machine and iron.......lol
Old 05-20-2011, 11:14 AM

I would, but since I got my long arm, I am in two rooms now. LOL
Old 05-20-2011, 12:26 PM

I have s sewing room (aka storage room per my kids) with all I need in there. It could be more organized but I can live with it. However, I don't sew in there because I can't hear my husband when he needs me. (He is blind and has dementia.)So, I do my actual sewing at the dining room table where I can see him and hear him call from the family room. The kids cleaned up the dining room for my surprise birthday party and I thought I would never find everythihg because they just dumped it all in the sewing room.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:05 PM

I am so fortunate to not have children at home anymore (all married)so I took the 3rd bedroom upstairs and made it into a sewing room. I had it in the kitchen for many years.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:12 PM

I now have a "studio" which is the master bedroom of my townhome. I feel blessed. It helps that I am single, too, as it does spill out into my living room.

I took classes with Harriet Hargrave and she told us when she started quilting her area was in a little closet on top of her washing machine ... that is if I remember it correctly. Believe me not one of us complained about our own small sewing/quilting areas in those classes!

If there is a will ... there is a way. For some it may be hand piecing and quilting. Whatever works.

ali
Old 05-20-2011, 01:16 PM

I used to sew in the corner of the dining room and leave my mess there. I told my husband I only cleaned up for special company. (not very often). I had to clean up every year for a Christmas party. Now I have a bedroom all to myself, upstairs I can go up there alone most times. I feel very fortunate to have a room totally to myself for sewing. It is very therapeutic to go up there and sew to my hearts content. If we have company I just close and sometimes lock the door.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

Okay! I'm one of the lucky ones to have a "room of my own", but I didn't start there and it causes me to appreciate even more, the the great creativity that happens at kitchen tables and the places usualy reserved for dust bunnies. You wonderful people who find a small spot for creating deserve kudos! Some people who have everything, create nothing and those with little create much!! Peace and Love to all!
Old 05-20-2011, 01:21 PM

I have a table set up in our bonus room. It is on the far wall behind the sofa - kind of hiding. I love that the sofa covers up the bottom part of the table so I can store stuff under the table and not worry about how it looks! I have another table on the other wall that is my ironing and cutting space. I've just started sewing so I don't have alot of fabric yet. We are lucky that in this house we have lots of closet space and there are 2 in the bonus room. One has my scrapbooking supplies (I used to be a consultant for CM) but as I clear that out, it will become my sewing closet. My youngest is 4 and he pretty much stays out of my stuff, but I remember when the kids were in my stuff all the time. I had a kid gate up to keep them out of my space.

I like that I don't have a room too myself. I like that I can sew while my kids are watching TV or playing on the Wii. I don't feel like I'm being anti-social. And during the day I have a big TV that is right in front of me :) i'll try to post pictures but my space is really nothing to write home about... just a table in the bonus room!
Old 05-20-2011, 01:22 PM

Oh I remember those days well. When my 2 were little we lived in a 12 x 60 2 bedroom trailer. My sewing maching was in the kitchen/dining area and I did my cutting on the kitchen table. When the kids were 4 & 5 we moved to the UP in the mddle of a national forest. We built a 16 x 20 cabin without electricty so my treadle was at the foot of the bed. Now I have my own sewing room. It is small, but it's all mine! lol
Old 05-20-2011, 01:49 PM

I sew at my dining room table. I started doing that because I liked to watch TV while sewing. I'm alone most of the time because DH works over 4 hours from home and only comes home on weekends and sometimes not even then as his dad is very ill. So it became a habit that is hard to break. My kids are grown and on their own and I have two spare bedrooms and a HUGE 2,200 sq ft basement of which half is finished and half is unfinished. I would love to get my DH to build out 1/2 of the unfinished section into a studio for me but I might as well be talking to a wall. So, I just stick to the dining room table and my fabric is stored in dresser drawers in the spare bedroom. My work space is constantly messy as when I am cutting up fabric for a quilt, I often don't put away leftover fabric pieces until the folded up piles topple off the table. My house is neat and tidy in every way. But my sewing space is a nightmare. How can I be so organized in every other aspect of my life, yet my sewing space is so disorganized? I really only clean it up if we are having a formal dinner party as all my friends know how much I quilt and they are used to all my quilting mess and the ironing board set up in the living room. But I have to say, I've seen the small spaces some of you have to work with and I'll just shut up and consider myself lucky. I'd post pictures but my DH has my camera.