Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reading this board can be expensive!

Reading this board can be expensive!

I read here frequently and often, thoroughly enjoy. All too often I'll read comments to threads and they'll be a discussion of a product I didn't even know I needed.

A recent thread on cutting mats took me to a site where there were mats on sale...had to have just that one! Well, I really did need a new mat

Luckily most of the time I can use restraint and not purchase everything I look at.

Annie

Yes, I know what you mean. I have bought several products that I learned about here on the board. All to help us do a better job. Now if I could just stay away from the online quilt shops!

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    The Board has also helped me not purchase things that others have bought and found they didnt work.

What gets me most often is someone posts a note about some terrific fabric sale. I tend to rationalize some spending on new gadgets with how much I have saved by learning about repurposing or upcycling things on the board..... That works doesn't it???
    Lisa

I feel the same way, I have gotten an itch to buy any old sewing machine I can find. If I pass one up I get withdrawal symptoms, LOL!!!
    Aronel aka Lee

Quote Originally Posted by quilt addict View Post
    What gets me most often is someone posts a note about some terrific fabric sale. I tend to rationalize some spending on new gadgets with how much I have saved by learning about repurposing or upcycling things on the board..... That works doesn't it???
    Absolutely! After all, don't "they" always say: "THE MORE YOU BUY, THE MORE YOU SAVE!"

"They" do, but in response to the statement that there is a 50% off sale, my father always said, "I know how I can save 100%."

It is tempting, I admit!!!!

All the above comments apply to me too. I've learned so much from the threads on this board .... and I've found some that didn't work out also - at least for me. It makes me feel normal to know that others have some of the same difficulties that I have, things that others do with ease.
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

Quote Originally Posted by charsuewilson View Post
    "They" do, but in response to the statement that there is a 50% off sale, my father always said, "I know how I can save 100%."
    a very wise father!!!!!!
    greetz, fien
    http://quiltfien.blogspot.com/

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I have trouble with the 'Pictures' pages. I love the quilt and have to know what fabric it is and then have to buy the fabric. So I quit going to the 'Pictures' pages. Now I just worry about gadgets and old sewing machines everyone talks about.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Quote Originally Posted by aronel View Post
    , I have gotten an itch to buy any old sewing machine I can find. LOL!!!
    This is very true! My vintage sewing machine collection started when I was reading, on this board, about Singer Featherweights.

Luckily, there are a lot of knowledgable people on here, too, because I have also learned to repair my vintage machines! Thanks everyone. I love this forum!

Yes that is true, since joining board have purchased Singer Featherweight, Singer 228, roam Ebay for attachments and just bought cotton/wool combs that they were talking about on here yesterday. lol I hope my children appreciate whats in my closet.

Tell me about it. I have found and bought many things from links found here.

This board is a goldmine! I hesitate to buy things until I research them and this board has all the members as acting researchers! I've found more GOOD gadgets and avoided the ones I'd never use. Plus, I don't belong to a guild and this is a great substitute. Thank you to all!

But that's why I read! This board has saved me a ton of $$ guiding me to the right buying choices. I shudder at how many poorly written patterns/books and worthless gadgets I might have bought if you all had not guided me to the right ones!

Yes, I am a glass half full person. I refuse to look at the down side!
    Shirley in Arizona

Did you see the Daily Deal on the Missouri Star Quilt company today? That's the one that hurts my pocketbook the most!

We will all go "broke" saving money!!

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid View Post
    This is very true! My vintage sewing machine collection started when I was reading, on this board, about Singer Featherweights.
    Luckily, there are a lot of knowledgable people on here, too, because I have also learned to repair my vintage machines! Thanks everyone. I love this forum!
    yes! I got my 401 and fw after reading QB after reading on here and bidding. really like them..still need more cleaning on the 401 but I am glad I got them.. would love to have a really strong good new machine that does some extra things too. but can not justify the cost.
    I always say "I have saved already more than I can afford" helps my budget to not be completely broken..I cann't print money like the gov. does

I love gadgets and the board is the best "truth in advertising" tool. I have bought lots of fabric and panels seen on this board due to the generosity of members willing to share, all given as gifts and greatly appreciated. Saves me lots of time shopping, wear and tear and gas on the car!

Blog Entries
    I have the same situation, I just ordered more stash stuff, bought a new ruler, and WANTED more doo-dads, but I am a little bit thrifty or try to be most of the time, so I just wiped the drool off my chin, told myself that I didn't NEED anything more. How many things have you bought that you THOUGHT you needed but never ever used? Rulers for me. Lost interest in what they did to actually work on the quilt top they were made for. *sigh*
    ​We can't help everyone, But everyone can help someone.

Has anyone else noticed the difference in quality in the cutting mats? I have one that I bought probably 20 years ago; it is a little faded, and just starting to feather when I cut on the same line too often, so I bought a new one and less than 6 months later it is already starting to feather. Sure made me angry

Blog Entries
    I love reading all the great thing here...you all have great ideas...plus you try them first....
    thanks you all have helped me alot....

Blog Entries
    Oh. Not only fabrics and notions, I now have a pattern collection that could rival the NYC public library LOL!
    Blessed Be
    Darlene

Quote Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN View Post
    Has anyone else noticed the difference in quality in the cutting mats? I have one that I bought probably 20 years ago; it is a little faded, and just starting to feather when I cut on the same line too often, so I bought a new one and less than 6 months later it is already starting to feather. Sure made me angry
    I thought it was just me... I noticed a few years ago my mats just don't last nearly as long as the ones I bought years ago. I thought it was imagination.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast