Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Realigning Fabric >

Realigning Fabric

Realigning Fabric

Old 02-17-2020, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by kkranig View Post
So, I am very new to quilting. I have made hot pads and paper pieced some log cabin coasters. I am working out of a new book called Quilter's Academy. It is actually a series of 5 books the teach you about piecing quilt tops. (There is a separate book for the quilting part). The instructions tell you before you start that you are to tear a 2 1/2 inch strip from each edge of your fabric (That's 5 inches) to realign the fabric and then iron and starch to create a new center fold. I had never heard of this before. I feel like I am wasting fabric when I do this. Does anyone ever do this and is it necessary? Thanks in advance!!
Welcome to the Quilting Board! Are these recently published books or are they "older" books by Harriet Hargrave? I just wonder as methods have progressed quite a bit since I started to quilt in 1993.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:14 AM

First, I want to admit that I am not a pre-washer of my fabric. I tried it and the mess and dealing with all that fabric and the strings was just horrible. I lost several inches. So, pre-washing is such a personal preference. Yes, I have had fabric run after the fact and I just fight it with color catchers.

If you tear your fabric, regardless of whether you wash it or not, you will lose a lot more than you will gain by having it on the straight of grain. Think about it....Our pieces are so small that it just does not matter.

I do iron the center fold. Often the original fold has extra bumps or lumps and that will never make a straight strip. If I am cutting a long border, I will cut it so that the print is straight for my border. So, if I am cutting a little bit on the bias, I just don't care. I have gotten smarter, and try not to make a border out of a fabric that has to be lined up accurately for the borders to look good.

Edited to add: Now, if you decide to use your cotton fabric to make a gathered skirt or even a blouse, getting the fabric straight can make or break your project. These type of projects do not have a backing or padding in them and stitched together to make them stay straight. They hang like you cut them. Cutting the front part of a blouse on the bias could give you some interesting saggy parts. The same goes for a skirt. So the advice about straightening by tearing or pulling a thread should be followed.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 02-17-2020 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

I always tear my fabric to get straight grain when making pillowcases--have heard so many complaints about pillowcases getting all warped up. My grans enjoy their pillowcases I make. Other smaller craft project, I do not try to straighten as they are stitched very close.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
Welcome to the Quilting Board! Are these recently published books or are they "older" books by Harriet Hargrave? I just wonder as methods have progressed quite a bit since I started to quilt in 1993.
Yes, these are Harriet Hargraves Quilters Academy books.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:05 AM

I do as NJ Quilter does and even if for some reason I don't pre-wash it first, I always straighten the grain and then make the first cut to get a straight edge.

Leah Day has a very good video on this on her YouTube channel.

Watson
Old 02-17-2020, 11:25 AM

Hi!

So, I am very new to quilting. I have made hot pads and paper pieced some log cabin coasters. I am working out of a new book called Quilter's Academy. It is actually a series of 5 books the teach you about piecing quilt tops. (There is a separate book for the quilting part).
I'm also pretty new and going through the Quilter's Academy books (vol 1 at the moment). I also got really hung up on this tearing of fabric topic

Because I tend to procrastinate study in forums, Insta, and books more than I actually quilt, this is my newbie opinion about this.

Harriet Hargrave is a very opinionated, meticulous quilter. While the argument can certainly be made that, for the size of most quilt pieces, being perfectly on grain isn't terribly important, my understanding is that off-grain fabric leads to cutting (and then piecing) on the bias to a greater or lesser extent, and therefore reduces one's ability to cut/piece precisely (due to the bias stretch). In this case I suspect whether you tear or not comes down to how much you value this kind of precision.

As an aside, anyone know what's happening with the Quilter's Academy 6th volume? The last info I can find says it was supposed to be released in spring 2018, but it hasn't been. I'm not anywhere there yet, I'd just like to have a complete set of the books.

Best,
Cena

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-17-2020 at 03:42 PM. Reason: link to own/affiliated sites are not permitted per Community Guidelines
Old 02-17-2020, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Cena View Post
Hi!

I'm also pretty new and going through the Quilter's Academy books (vol 1 at the moment). I also got really hung up on this tearing of fabric topic

Because I tend to procrastinate study in forums, Insta, and books more than I actually quilt, this is my newbie opinion about this.

Harriet Hargrave is a very opinionated, meticulous quilter. While the argument can certainly be made that, for the size of most quilt pieces, being perfectly on grain isn't terribly important, my understanding is that off-grain fabric leads to cutting (and then piecing) on the bias to a greater or lesser extent, and therefore reduces one's ability to cut/piece precisely (due to the bias stretch). In this case I suspect whether you tear or not comes down to how much you value this kind of precision.

As an aside, anyone know what's happening with the Quilter's Academy 6th volume? The last info I can find says it was supposed to be released in spring 2018, but it hasn't been. I'm not anywhere there yet, I'd just like to have a complete set of the books.

Best,
Cena

I messaged Farm Stand Quilt Shop which is Harriet and Carrie Hargraves page and they due to some changes in their lives recently they did not get it out yet. They are still working on Volume 6 and hope to have it out in the next year. How have you adjusted to this issue? Also what do you think of the steam and starch part? Let me know please!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-17-2020 at 03:42 PM. Reason: edit quote to match OP post edit
Old 02-17-2020, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

I always pre wash fabrics as soon as I bring them home. I have a different method for cutting fabric. After 400 -500 quilts it seems to work for me.

Welcome to this site.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:40 AM

I line up the selvage edges and slide them until the fold hangs straight and give it a quick press. I will then cut my first strip, open it up and see if it is straight before I move on. If it is not, you will be able to see at the fold if it is going a little wonky. I am not a pre-washer.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:23 PM

I messaged Farm Stand Quilt Shop which is Harriet and Carrie Hargraves page and they due to some changes in their lives recently they did not get it out yet. They are still working on Volume 6 and hope to have it out in the next year.
Thanks for finding that out! It was driving me a little crazy. I might be done with vol. 1 by then.

How have you adjusted to this issue?
Do you mean have I torn any fabric yet? Well - no, but! I'm planning to blog my journey through the QA books, beginning as soon as I finish this one quilt from a class I took locally. So I've actually bought some fabric I don't care that much about just so I can tear it painlessly.

Also what do you think of the steam and starch part?
I use starch, but have not used steam. This is mostly because when I really decided to go whole hog into quilting, I needed a new iron. I got a Rowenta, which apparently has issues with leaking water. So I decided I'd just run it 'dry' rather than worry about that.

That said, I've also tried 'Best Press', which is a 'starch alternative' that seems pretty popular, but I found it about the equivalent of expensive water. Starch stiffens up the fabric and makes it easier to cut and piece, in my limited opinion. I got turned on to starch first not via the QA books but another one called "Mastering Precision Piecing" by Sally Collins.

I recently ordered a wool pressing mat, although I haven't gotten it yet to try out. And finally, because I am a huge nerd, I tracked down and ordered a book called "Press for Success", by Myrna Giesbrecht ,which is supposed to be the last word in pressing. I'm the life of the party, I tell ya!

How about you - are you starching or steaming (or both)?