Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
really getting interested in purchasing an embroidery machine >

really getting interested in purchasing an embroidery machine

really getting interested in purchasing an embroidery machine

Old 10-27-2009, 09:20 AM

Hi Deb
I have the Singer Quantam 5000 - it is a little pricey but it has so many great features. You have a choice of bobbin winding - never ending. in place or the regular way. You also can thread 2 colours & it will automaticly cut the thread & go to the next colour. Fabulous machine.
Serena
Old 10-27-2009, 09:56 AM

Deb
Congradulations on "taking the plunge" I started out with a Singer Furtura,
But graduated to a Baby Lock Elleganta2 this past June. I would suggest that you purchase one of the less expensive models (or even a good used model, from a responsible dealer) to see how you like machine embroidery. Then graduated to one of the top of the line models. I swear by my Baby Lock. Since June I've made three 120x120 quilts!! Machine embroidery is addicting...
Old 10-27-2009, 03:43 PM

I have a Janome 10000 that I am thinking about selling. Any interest? GiGi
Old 10-27-2009, 04:37 PM

Hi Deb,

The embroidery machines at our local Walmart didn't allow me to put in different embroidery designs. I would have been stuck with the few that came in the machine. That is where the sewing machine with a USB stick is very important, more versatility adding and importing new designs or designs you create if you get software for your computer.

In all the towns in a 80 mile radius of my area, there are mostly Viking dealers. So, I decided on a Viking. I really like my machine. Since then I have seen and demo-ed a Bernina. It is a really nice machine too!

I have gone through 7 Vikings machines and have loved everyone of them. No! I didn't break them all. 3 were trade-ups as I learned what features I wanted on a machine. Yea, I know, you are asking what happened to the other 4. I'm not telling.

I advise anyone who has a sewing machine and is looking for an embroidery machine to KEEP their simple sewer.

No, wait, doesn't that spell the drain pipe from your toilet? How does one spell the word for a person who sews?

I traded-in my regular sewing machine to reduce the cost of the embroidery machine, which also is a great sewing machine. But, I found that I wanted to have a embroidery station (the sewing table) and a sewing station (the dining table) at the same time.

Call me needy!

Actually the dog can't go up and downstairs to the basement sewing room to keep my feet warm any more and at 80 pounds, I can't carry him either. It got on my nerves knowing that he was upstairs alone and I couldn't enjoy my work.

I finally managed to get a very cheap simple machine again and it turned out to be the best 1/4 inch seamer I have ever worked with. Not being able to adjust the needle position every which-a-way can be a bonus sometimes.

Well anyway, I agree, get a machine with the biggest embroidery area you are comfortable paying for.

Did I say too much?
Old 10-27-2009, 04:47 PM

Yes Rose Marie,

You can QUILT the embroidery into the quilt top on most machines these days.

I pin or baste the entire quilt sandwich.

Then, mark the centers for any squares or blocks I want to fancy stitch with a design from the embroidery machine.

I hoop those and stitch them out.

Next, I go back with the regular machine and dual-feed foot and stitch in any straight lines I want.

Last, if I have any free-motion or stippling, I add that.

All that is left is the binding.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:05 PM

I have a older pfaff hobymatic, then many years later upgraded to the pfaff 2170 embroidery/sewing machine that was great for about 5 years. Worked great and it had nice hoop sizes to work with. Then I got the new pfaff Creative Vision 5.0. A great machine and BIG BIG hoops. Most of my quilts include embroidery; therefore I can use both the 2170 as well as the CV 5.0 at the same time and get the embroidery done in one half the time. I would agree with the others to purchase a machine that will give you the size hoop that your budget will allow.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:30 PM

Hi Deb,
I'm near Ithaca, so I know how few good sewing machine stores there are in the relatively near vacinity. My guess is you bought your Janome from the dealer in Painted Post? I purchased a machine from them but returned it but they seemed pretty nice, although I have no idea about the machine technician. If you want to stick with Janome, you might want to get the 350 embroidery only machine. I know you can use the gigahoop with this model and it's relatively inexpensive with quite a few nice features.

On the other hand, if you'd like to try out every make and model of home sewing and embroidery machine made, take a little road trip (about a 3 hour drive) to Pocono Sew and Vac in Stroudsburg, PA. They, literally have EVERYTHING out so you can get a much better idea about what you want. They also have the best tech, Brad Bennet, that I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. It's totally worth the trip.

We also have a top notch Pfaff dealership in Ithaca, which would be a bit closer. They're truly wonderful and have a lot of integrity. No BS at all about anything.

Anyway, good luck in your search! Drop me a line, and I'll be happy to help if you need more info!
Old 10-27-2009, 06:30 PM

Deb, I also have the Janome dc3050 and love it too. I upgraded to a 6600 and love it even more. Decided to keep the 3050 for backup and for classes. I also have a Janome 350E embroidery machine and I am totally hooked on it. So, I would say to you: Can't go wrong with the Janome 350e, but have a good dealership to help you with any questions that may arise and you will probably have many. Also, having a friend to help you out doesn't hurt; my friend has helped me really more than the dealer, but I know they are there for me when and if I need any help. Good luck in finding the right one for you and you are going to love it.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
Okay, okay, I am getting so psyched by all of the embroidery that I am seeing, and have been bitten by the thought of purchasing one. I have a Janome for sewing, a DC3050, love it.....based on that, any recommendations for an embroidery machine?
i have the janome embroidery machine 350E and of course am in love with it.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:39 AM

I have a very old Bernina. I want a machine that quilts, sews and embroiders. I didn't know Bernina had a machine like that. Hmmm, I think my next machine will be a 630 or 640. Thanks!