Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recession + gasoline = less fabric! >

Recession + gasoline = less fabric!

Recession + gasoline = less fabric!

Old 05-19-2011, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Damaquilts, Park Avenue is a wonderful car though. My BF is a mechnic, and gave me one when we first started dating, 10 years ago! Drove it forever, then gave it to DD. She had an accident with it, we fixed it, then got her a car with lower miles when she moved to Milwaukee, but the PA is still kicking. BF says they have great engines!
They are also big and safe... One thing our teenagers do not need to be doing is driving around in tiny, collapsable cars.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:38 AM

Do they have a website? Or do they know you well enough to know what you like? Maybe you could call and ask them to pick out $X.YZ worth and ship it to you.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:52 AM

Everyone - except the favored 1% are feeling it - time to make use of your stash, trade, sell or bargain for future reference - quilt exhibitions are reflecting the recession too - 3 local shows all had fewer quilts to exhibit, even the trade sales tables are feeling the pinch. I haven't bought anything for about a year, tackling the UFOs instead and was totally seduced by some dragonfly and stonehenge jellyrolls and bought 1 of each + a great red to put with them for a shot of colour. I'm going to use the end to end miles long strip pattern shown on QB a few months ago. Have to summon up the courage to begin - I always find that hard.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:57 AM

Do you know of anyone else who would like to go with you and split the gas money?

If you are a regular customer, could you call and see if you could select some fats online (if they have online shopping)? WOWOWO, this would be most painful to sit and realize the bargaiins are there and yu are not!

Check around!!!!
Julie
Old 05-19-2011, 08:48 AM

Yes, things are getting too pricey(sp).
So, I had committed for one year, that I would only use
what I had in my stash, except if I needed a border or
batting or a cordinating fabric to bring it together to complete, I could not spend over $10.
I did for one year, so proud of myself! I am going to do that
again. Starting in June, I vow to do this for one year.....
oh going to shows, kills me!
Old 05-19-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by pjemark
This just reeks! My favorite all time favorite LQS is having a terriffic sale on friday. They open their doors at 7 a.m. and they are having fat quarters for a dollar and under. There are scrap bags and tons and tons of deals to be had. Woe is me! The shop is 45 miles away and I drive a cargo van (im a painter/paperhanger) that gets 14 miles per gallon and gas is almost 4.50 here. It just doesn't make sense to go all the way there and buy more fabric because I have a good size stash and I've got a husband who has been laid off for 13 months and just got another job and yadayadayada. You know- two years ago- I wouldn't have even thought about it. I wouldn't have even bothered to think about the gas vs. the savings- but things have changed- I'll just have to be content with the fabric i have. *sniff *sniff :?
Do they have a website? Maybe you could call them and explain your situation and order fabric online depending on what the shipping charges are? Or do you have a quilting buddie(s) that could drive there with you and split gas costs?

Edited: OR maybe there is another store around that someone you know would like to check out (if they aren't a quilter) and you could share gas costs?
Old 05-19-2011, 09:08 AM

Maybe instead of focusing on how bad everything is and how expensive it is to add to our stashes, we should focus on being grateful for having been prosperous enough to have stashes!
Old 05-19-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I feel your pain about the gas. On a good note gas did drop 19 cents over the last 2 days here. Hopefully it will drop everywhere.
Only 1 cent here.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:03 AM

can you share the cost of the ride with a friend? Perhaps someone you know has a fuel efficient vehicle who'd like to go with you? I hate passing up a major bargain!! (((hugs)))
Old 05-19-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Damaquilts, Park Avenue is a wonderful car though. My BF is a mechnic, and gave me one when we first started dating, 10 years ago! Drove it forever, then gave it to DD. She had an accident with it, we fixed it, then got her a car with lower miles when she moved to Milwaukee, but the PA is still kicking. BF says they have great engines!
They are also big and safe... One thing our teenagers do not need to be doing is driving around in tiny, collapsable cars.
Big yes. lol I drove a Saturn before this and it was hard getting use to a big car again. I do think this thing will run for ever. My brother put a whole new engine in it a couple of years ago. Not sure how many miles I have put on it. Since I have gotten it gas has been too expensive for me so I only drove when I had too. More because of the humane society in GA not so much here. A tank of gas lasts me about a month. Thats how little I drive. My granddaughter just got a Mazda 626 for graduation. Used of course. Her other grandparents got it for her I am pretty sure.