Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recession + gasoline = less fabric! >

Recession + gasoline = less fabric!

Recession + gasoline = less fabric!

Old 05-20-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
We are soon going to be just like those who went through the recession before, using old cloths and scraps, to bad we no longer have feed bags to purchase or we would also do that. Lets hope we do not have to go through rashining and get those little stamps to purchase things.
"those little stamps" makes you about the same era as me. (40's?) I still have my ration book & the few stamps still inside. My Mom saved them for my brother & I to recall later.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by caliquocat
Originally Posted by Up North
We are soon going to be just like those who went through the recession before, using old cloths and scraps, to bad we no longer have feed bags to purchase or we would also do that. Lets hope we do not have to go through rashining and get those little stamps to purchase things.
"those little stamps" makes you about the same era as me. (40's?) I still have my ration book & the few stamps still inside. My Mom saved them for my brother & I to recall later.
Those were ration books issued during WWII for things that there was a shortage of because they were used up in the war ( not the depression which was over by then.) like : gasolene, shoes, sugar, coffee, shortning for cooking, It was meant to prevent hoarding, and to make sure everybody got an equal share.
Actually the same kind of depression is happening now....prices of everything went up, so that people did not have enough money to buy everything they needed or wanted to buy.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:24 PM

try looking up UK prices for fabric and gas and you will think you are in heavan. I am soo envious when I read about your yard sales, thrift shops etc. moan moan moan, sorry.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by rona thickpenny
try looking up UK prices for fabric and gas and you will think you are in heavan. I am soo envious when I read about your yard sales, thrift shops etc. moan moan moan, sorry.
You don't have yard sales and thrift shops in the U K? Just curious. My son just got back from being in egypt for a year and I love hearing the oddities and differences in other countries. Such as - they only had goats milk over there. He chugs down glasses and glasses of milk-says it's one of the things he missed the most!
Old 05-21-2011, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mattee
Maybe instead of focusing on how bad everything is and how expensive it is to add to our stashes, we should focus on being grateful for having been prosperous enough to have stashes!
I was unemployed for 2 1/2yrs and learned this lesson well. Now working but still not buying. I look at my stash and thank God for buying when I did and set about using it :thumbup:
Old 05-21-2011, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by pjemark
This just reeks! My favorite all time favorite LQS is having a terriffic sale on friday. They open their doors at 7 a.m. and they are having fat quarters for a dollar and under. There are scrap bags and tons and tons of deals to be had. Woe is me! The shop is 45 miles away and I drive a cargo van (im a painter/paperhanger) that gets 14 miles per gallon and gas is almost 4.50 here. It just doesn't make sense to go all the way there and buy more fabric because I have a good size stash and I've got a husband who has been laid off for 13 months and just got another job and yadayadayada. You know- two years ago- I wouldn't have even thought about it. I wouldn't have even bothered to think about the gas vs. the savings- but things have changed- I'll just have to be content with the fabric i have. *sniff *sniff :?
My sister inlaw collects aluminum cans and uses the money for her quilting supplies. I would say gas counts also.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:38 AM

I have a full time job, even working some overtime and I'm in the auto industry. Still - have to watch every penny. Slowly paying off the bills I had before all this started. Just can't pay them off as quickly. That being said - I don't have much of a stash but haven't went to my favorite quilting store for about 3 months. There is a quilt show in Shipshewana, Indiana that my BIL and I are planning on going to. Still hope we'll be able to swing it. I do love looking at my stash.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:52 AM

We are all in the same boat!
Old 05-21-2011, 04:47 AM

It really stinks when you get excited about $3.50 per gal gasoline.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:28 AM

Gas didn't drop here in NY but then it never will not with those in the top ranks. They like taking your money. What about meeting up with other quilters to go in one vehicle and save on some of that gas. I really don't get the big shots that rule this nation that they can take raises and keep cutting the little guy. Do they want us all on welfare?

Just blowing off steam seeing that so many have the same problem.

Have a great day.