Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: recommendations on a book . . .

i frequently find myself straining my brain trying to figure out the 'geometry' of a pieced quilt. i'm looking for a resource that has information like the 7/8 inch method for making half-square triangles, what sizes to cut to make a particular size flying geese unit, etc.

can anyone recommend such a resource, book or otherwise? (if this is even making sense at all)

:) it's a rainy cold day here - i've been everywhere on the web looking at quilting books and haven't found what i'm looking for.

Blog Entries
    I found a book at the library called Teach Yourself Visually Quilting by Sonja Hakala.

The author explained things in detail and it has tons of picture. I liked it so much that I asked for it for Mother's day. :mrgreen: I am thinking about taking it to an office supply store and having the binding changed to spiral.

We got my book at Amazon. com for way cheaper than the book store.

Blog Entries
    I did a search for how to figure half square triangles and came up with this

http://www.patchwork-and-quilting.co...triangles.html

I always cut my squares one inch larger than the finished half square triangle. Then I can cut them down to the correct finished size. Let me tell you, it's not fun to unsew 36 squares and then resew them! :0)

thanks, SherriB. my library has that book and i've requested it. it looks like it's the basics, but it may have what i'm looking for in it.

thanks Craftybear and MN - i've got the 1/2 square triangles down pat. i guess what i'm looking for is the more advanced stuff and all in one book. thanks for the link!

This is too funny. I was looking through some of my books the other day and found a book call "Taking the Math out of making Patchwork Quilts" by Bonnie Leman & Judy Martin. Boy does it have great info in there. Can't believe I forgot about it!! Bought it years ago, I guess I better start going through more of my stuff before I buy anything else! :lol: :lol:

Another good reference book is "The Complete Guide to Quilting" by Fons & Porter. This is actually my bible.

great information, y'all, thanks

Blessings, Ruth

thanks, sewcrafty. i have the 'taking the math out of patchwork' book, but it doesn't have what i'm looking for. :(

it does have good information in it, though!

Blog Entries
    Judy Martin's PatchworkBook: Easy Lessons for Quilt Design and Construction has detailed drafting instructions for quilt block pieces and blocks. I think this book should be used in schools right along with basic math. It's the pencil and paper version of EQ. It was printed in 1983 so you may find one on Ebay.

Update: There is a newer version of this book on Amazon and some used ones start at $3.00 :D

CRH
    Here is some info on flying geese:

http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/techni...geese_ss1.html

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Judy Martin's PatchworkBook: Easy Lessons for Quilt Design and Construction has detailed drafting instructions for quilt block pieces and blocks. I think this book should be used in schools right along with basic math. It's the pencil and paper version of EQ. It was printed in 1983 so you may find one on Ebay.

Update: There is a newer version of this book on Amazon and some used ones start at $3.00 :D
    ahh haa! the library has this one! i think we're getting warmer!

thanks!

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure that you will find ONE book with all the answers. If you do I'll be really upset and wonder why I have ALL those books in my shelf! Oh, never mind, I have them to feed my need to shop and I have too much fabric. Heavy sigh! lol

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I'm not sure that you will find ONE book with all the answers. If you do I'll be really upset and wonder why I have ALL those books in my shelf! Oh, never mind, I have them to feed my need to shop and I have too much fabric. Heavy sigh! lol
    shhhhhhhh!!!!! there's no such thing! :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    QUICK call the doc .. you must be running a fever ! :shock: There is no such thing as too much :wink: LOL

Blog Entries
    Previously recommended: "The Quilter Ultimate Visual Guide" published by Ellen Pahl. I bought it thru Amazon recently.

My favorite on piecing and measuring is any book of Pam Bono's designs for rotary cutting. Very clear illustrations on just about all parts of patchwork piecing. Check out her web site, too.

Blog Entries
    You gals should have watched me try to wrangle my fabric into the existing bins which fill the existing space. I kept muttering how over the top whicked crazy I am. (Mad for sure - lol) So when Pat came home and observed my mental escapades - the darling man says: "Well, honey, you can always move some of those bins in the loft. Your frame is already there, so a little more quilting stuff won't make a matter." I yelled at him that he wasn't helping. ENABLER!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    I did a search for how to figure half square triangles and came up with this

http://www.patchwork-and-quilting.co...triangles.html
    Good web site. Thanks!

my favorite all time go to book is The Quilter Ultimate Visual Guide by Rodale.
    This was not my first or even second resource book, but it is now the one I always recomend.
    Try Amazon.com

Check my post on the Classifieds under "Books for Sale." I have such a book listed there. It is still available if you're interested.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45567-1.htm

Eleanor Burns' books are wonderfully simplistic.
    Judy Martin's books are chocked full of useful tips and each quilt will show at least 4 different ways to set it together.
    When it comes to half square triangles, forget the books and buy Thangles. They work GREAT!!! After using them a few times you get to where you can sew the strips together and do 5 or 6 or even more strips at the same time. Almost no trimming involved once they're cut apart. You can do enough HST for an entire quilt in a short amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    Judy Martin's books are chocked full of useful tips and each quilt will show at least 4 different ways to set it together.
    When it comes to half square triangles, forget the books and buy Thangles. They work GREAT!!! After using them a few times you get to where you can sew the strips together and do 5 or 6 or even more strips at the same time. Almost no trimming involved once they're cut apart. You can do enough HST for an entire quilt in a short amount of time.
    rapture - is that the Eleanor Burns Love Knot featured in your avatar? beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by fabricluvr
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    rapture - is that the Eleanor Burns Love Knot featured in your avatar? beautiful!
    No, the pattern I found was called Sunset from Clothilde. I call mine Frames. I sat down with graph paper and drew my own pattern because I didn't like the colors, size or anything about the Sunset pattern other than the basic cut. My directions are on a thread called, "Directions for Frames quilt (my avy)" posted somewhere around Mar. 24th. I'm supposed to be doing a tutorial but haven't had the time yet and won't for awhile.

talent, talent, talent!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Rhonda on the board here sales books, I can't afford any but they look really nice to learn from. God bless. Penny

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast