Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recommended sewing machine of your choice? >

Recommended sewing machine of your choice?

Recommended sewing machine of your choice?

Old 10-23-2018, 04:41 AM

I'm a Bernina girl too but I do have a Janome Gem that I take to workshops only. For me, the Janome is just OK (most people love them) but I still love my Bernina, it is what I use 100% of the time. I purchased it in 1998 and have never had a problem with it. I do make sure that I get it in for a tuneup every year and a half to be sure the calibration is OK. If I was looking now, I would want an automatic needle threader and a larger opening to machine quilt.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:11 AM

Yes, it's a very subjective question - I say 1st: determine your budget, then 2nd: list your 'must have features' (i.e. large harp space, auto thread cutter, auto needle threader, certain stitches, etc..) and then test drive all of the machines in your price range that meet your budget and must-have needs and you'll discover the brand/model that feels right to you.

Take your time and enjoy the process - good luck!

Christine
Old 10-23-2018, 06:08 AM

I had a Singer 5830c for 14 years and it was a workhorse, it's still doing well as an occasional use machine with a new owner. I wouldn't buy a new Singer though, it seems the bottom has dropped out of the brand quality-wise. I have a Janome HD3000 that is great and my primary machine is a Juki 2010 straight stitcher. See how much money you've got and what features you want and go from there. It's like a new car or a new bike, what is perfect for you won't be perfect for someone else. Try out as many machines as you can before you buy, I spent months before I bought my Janome trying everything I could.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:29 AM

It sounds like your looking to get a better Janome. If you like the machine/brand you have try some of the other models. I started with a small Janome which was fine, but more of a starter machine and upgraded to a 8900 QCP Memory Craft. I love it. It does more that I use it for (it has a bazillion different stitches) but it is heavier duty and I was specifically looking for a big throat space (11"). No substitute for test driving some other machines. Also decide on the features that are must haves. Good luck!
Old 10-23-2018, 08:47 AM

I love my Janome 8200 . I love the 11" throat, auto thread cutter, programmable stitches, the way it sounds, how intuitive it is, the price tag, the relatively low cost of replacement parts and ease of service. It has a knee lift, which I have not used, but may graduate to. It has an alphabet and numbers which I use to make labels and such.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
I love my Janome 8200 . I love the 11" throat, auto thread cutter, programmable stitches, the way it sounds, how intuitive it is, the price tag, the relatively low cost of replacement parts and ease of service. It has a knee lift, which I have not used, but may graduate to. It has an alphabet and numbers which I use to make labels and such.
I almost bought one of these, very nice machine and it was only a tad more than the 2010 at the local dealer.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:45 AM

Agree with a lot that has been posted. I just recently purchased a 2nd machine (Juki HZL-DX5) - which I am currently loving. I have had a Janome before (MC 4300 QC I think it was) and my other machine is an Elna 740 eXcellence (which is the twin to the Janome 7700 I believe). I do like my Elna, but after having test driven some other Janomes prior, I wanted something different. Nothing specific, but I just didn't find myself as wowed by them as I would want to be given the price point on many upgraded machines.

A few features I am loving on my new Juki machine. I love that I have the option to program different functions to happen when I push on the heel of the foot pedal (I have it set to auto-cut the thread). I am loving the box feed, it handles fabrics very well. I don't even need a fabric leader to be sure my machine doesn't eat the corner. I really like the bobbin area (and I don't have to pull up the bobbin thread each time. That said, not pulling up the bobbin thread can cause a small bit of tangle or nesting right at the start). I like the pivot feature on the machine (and I can program my machine so that every time I stop sewing, the presser foot comes up slightly). Love the 1/4" stitch setting (lining my fabric up to the edge of the foot with this stitch setting gives me a perfect scan 1/4" seam). I love that I don't have to push the needle down button when I start sewing. I have it programmed as the default, so once I hit the pedal, down it comes and when I stop sewing it will stay down. Then I tap back on the heel, it auto cuts the thread, needle and presser foot come up. The auto threader is very easy to use and has worked 100% of the time.

That said, of course there are a couple of things I have discovered I don't like as much. Such as the markings on the needle plate being further back. While I love how the bobbin loads and that I don't have to pull that bobbin thread up each time - in theory I kind of do unless I don't mind the little bit of tangle that might or might not happen at the beginning of a seam. The lack of lighting under the harp area (I have ordered strip LED lights and will fix that). I wish it came with the thread stand attached so I can place my thread vertical (again, I can either order one that attaches or one that sits off to the side, or use a coffee cup, etc). It seems that sometimes my thread hangs up using the horizontal thread holder. These are minor nitpicky things (except for the needle plate marking - I just didn't notice that when I test drove this machine).

I would recommend:

1. Decide on must have features
2. Decide on budget
3. Make the rounds of local sewing machine shops and test out different brands/models of machines (I tried above and below what I felt willing to spend - just to know what those extra $$s got me - and I had a little bit of flexibility with my budget, which I did not end up adjusting). There will be some you test drive and you will know it is not the machine for you. That way you can weed out what you know you don't like. This can also help you fine tune what you like and might even change your list of must have features.
4. I have never bought at an expo - but if you are thinking you might - definitely comparison shop before you go, and know what you can get finance wise elsewhere - so you have info to bargain with.

Happy shopping!
Old 10-23-2018, 09:48 AM

How much (about) do they go for?

Originally Posted by Austinite View Post
I almost bought one of these, very nice machine and it was only a tad more than the 2010 at the local dealer.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Sewing machine preference is pretty subjective. Personally, I'm a Bernina girl. I love my Berninas. That said, many people don't care for them at all. You will probably have to just try a lot of machines out and see which one you like the best. One thing I will say is that IMO Quilt Festival isn't the best place to be trying out a machine. There is a lot of confusion and hustle which, for me, would make it hard to concentrate and decide. I prefer to go to a store where I can quietly try out the machines that I'm interested in.

Whatever you do, decide before hand which features you really want, which don't matter and which ones you just have to have. It will help you narrow down the choices and not get upsold a lot of machine that you don't really want/need.
Thank you Yes I was not going to buy there but wanted to hear what they had to say. I can say that Bernina is what I am leaning to the most. Looked at the shop at several new ones just need to compare.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:22 AM

Mine is the small one not sure the model but not the smallest two. It is going to become my traveling machine. Thank you,