Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recycling fabric.. >

Recycling fabric..

Recycling fabric..

Old 08-10-2013, 06:33 PM

Default Recycling fabric..

I have spent my Saturday ~ off & on cutting my jeans scraps into manageable ready to go pieces. I am almost through my first bucket...a little over half way. There are memories in what I'm doing. I had six kids and the last one has outgrown hand me downs which means they belong to Mom now. Ha! The ones that are just too nice to cut are being passed on to be used but I have a TON of new to me fabric and I am making it my mission to get each of my kiddos a memory quilt of their clothes. BUT ~ when I get caught up I hope to cut as I go and not save it until I "have time". Its almost overwhelming....but in a lovable way. can you imagine how its gonna go when I get to the TShirt bucket??! =)
Old 08-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

Oh but what fun! My GD and I made a quilt out of her GGPa's old shirts and gifted it to my SIL at Christmas time. It's not fancy--simple blocks a then 9 yo could sew and then we sat and tied it together. My SIL was in tears--as her dad had passed the summer before. It is so worth it to share those pieces of memories.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:41 PM

I have at least 4 tubs of recycled fabric. 1. All of my father's p.j.'s and western shirts(most cut in 2 1/2" strips)
2. Scraps of mother's clothes and sewing scraps. 3. Fabrics from all of the garments my mother and I made for my daughter. 4. Blocks and strips from jeans and denim shirts.
Now I am beginning one from my hubby's old shirts and ones he has 'outgrown'
Now, just to get the quilts made.