Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recycling >

Recycling

Recycling

Old 01-05-2013, 07:54 AM

I did that once a long time ago and it worked really well. Thanks for the reminder - I have lots of batting scraps collected and will make them into a larger batting for a quilt!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:29 AM

I just measured all my larger pieces and pinned a label with the size and kind of batting it is to it where I can see it when it's folded on the shelf. I have wall hanging sizes tgether in a see thru bag and in another bag small project sizes like potholder size and such. All these pieces take up a lot of room and I have vowed to use them up.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:57 AM

that is great-makes the small leftovers a usable size.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:14 AM

Using up the half filled bobbins is a great idea! Congratulations on a productive day and just think of all the great things you will do with that batting!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Therese View Post
I just measured all my larger pieces and pinned a label with the size and kind of batting it is to it where I can see it when it's folded on the shelf. I have wall hanging sizes tgether in a see thru bag and in another bag small project sizes like potholder size and such. All these pieces take up a lot of room and I have vowed to use them up.
If my pieces were that big I would label them also. Some of these were as small as 3 or 4 inches. The finished product is a really patchwork
Old 01-06-2013, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I recently sewed a bunch of batting pieces together and made a batting that I used for a lap size charity quilt. When the quilt was finished there was no way to tell that it wasn't a whole piece of batting inside. It will wear as well, feels as soft, and my batting scrap pile was visibly diminished. Win-win.
That's exactly what I do - and it works very well. I also use smaller pieces put together for doll quilts,wall hangings, and minis which I love to do. Use up that stuff!!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:56 AM

Once in a while, I use the flatlocking feature on the serger to join pieces of batting together. I do several pieces at a time. The pieces lay flat nicely without any puckers or excess fabric on one side. I've tried the interlocking foot on the DSM (the stitches go back and forth both sides of the seam). It works, but it does not always lay flat for me. Now, there are iron on tapes (in two widths) for joining pieces of batting together. Works well.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:35 AM

I recently took all my poly batting scraps and filled my couch pillow with them. When I washed the covers, I noticed the back of the couch pillows where just stuffed with batting pieces, so I threw them out and use new scraps of batting. Worked really great. Pluse got rid of two trash bags of batting pieces. Small and big.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

I have heard of someone locally that collects fabric scraps to fill pet beds for the local animal shelter. Been saving scraps but haven't that person. Anyone near citrus co florida out there know who this could be?
Old 01-06-2013, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by solstice3 View Post
I have heard of someone locally that collects fabric scraps to fill pet beds for the local animal shelter. Been saving scraps but haven't that person. Anyone near citrus co florida out there know who this could be?
Call your local humane society, pet adoption center, cat rescue, or such in your area. Some of these places let the pillow go with the animal that is being adopted.