Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recycling

Recycling

Today I decided to do something with all my batting scraps. I spent the afternoon stitching together all the scraps into bigger pieces. These pieces will work good for bags and wall hangings. I can't believe how many scraps I had and how big a pieces I was able to make. Used all my half filled bobbins to sew with. Now I can feel noble, until I stop in the LQS again.
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

feels good, doesn't it ;-)
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    Good for you! When I cleaned and reorganized my sewing room back in July I gathered up all my bigger pieces of batting and measured them. I then rolled each piece up and tied them with a strip of bias tape with a tag indicating the size of the piece. I couldn't believe how many small quilt size pieces I had . I would just open a new batting each time and cut the size I needed. Now I go to my pieces first!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I recently sewed a bunch of batting pieces together and made a batting that I used for a lap size charity quilt. When the quilt was finished there was no way to tell that it wasn't a whole piece of batting inside. It will wear as well, feels as soft, and my batting scrap pile was visibly diminished. Win-win.

I need to do this too. Great ideas!

I use mine when I'm making potholders. Sometimes when I want to sew and not think, I get my scrap batting out and start sewing. haha It helps take care of the clutter and becomes something useful again.

Great productive day for you!!
    will quilt 4EVER

Blog Entries
    After sorting batting pieces and sewing together, had enough for 2 twin and 1 crib quilt (and extra room on a shelf)

It's great when you get to use what might have been discarded, and convert it into a real useable item. I have a big container for my batting trimmings .. it always amazes me how it can add up into a quilt size batting . I find sewing the scraps of batting to be very relaxing... after all no one will see the "innereds" of my quilts.

Congratulations! Nice start to new year.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

I did that once a long time ago and it worked really well. Thanks for the reminder - I have lots of batting scraps collected and will make them into a larger batting for a quilt!

I just measured all my larger pieces and pinned a label with the size and kind of batting it is to it where I can see it when it's folded on the shelf. I have wall hanging sizes tgether in a see thru bag and in another bag small project sizes like potholder size and such. All these pieces take up a lot of room and I have vowed to use them up.

that is great-makes the small leftovers a usable size.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Using up the half filled bobbins is a great idea! Congratulations on a productive day and just think of all the great things you will do with that batting!
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    I just measured all my larger pieces and pinned a label with the size and kind of batting it is to it where I can see it when it's folded on the shelf. I have wall hanging sizes tgether in a see thru bag and in another bag small project sizes like potholder size and such. All these pieces take up a lot of room and I have vowed to use them up.
    If my pieces were that big I would label them also. Some of these were as small as 3 or 4 inches. The finished product is a really patchwork
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I recently sewed a bunch of batting pieces together and made a batting that I used for a lap size charity quilt. When the quilt was finished there was no way to tell that it wasn't a whole piece of batting inside. It will wear as well, feels as soft, and my batting scrap pile was visibly diminished. Win-win.
    That's exactly what I do - and it works very well. I also use smaller pieces put together for doll quilts,wall hangings, and minis which I love to do. Use up that stuff!!
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

Once in a while, I use the flatlocking feature on the serger to join pieces of batting together. I do several pieces at a time. The pieces lay flat nicely without any puckers or excess fabric on one side. I've tried the interlocking foot on the DSM (the stitches go back and forth both sides of the seam). It works, but it does not always lay flat for me. Now, there are iron on tapes (in two widths) for joining pieces of batting together. Works well.

I recently took all my poly batting scraps and filled my couch pillow with them. When I washed the covers, I noticed the back of the couch pillows where just stuffed with batting pieces, so I threw them out and use new scraps of batting. Worked really great. Pluse got rid of two trash bags of batting pieces. Small and big.

I have heard of someone locally that collects fabric scraps to fill pet beds for the local animal shelter. Been saving scraps but haven't that person. Anyone near citrus co florida out there know who this could be?

Quote Originally Posted by solstice3 View Post
    I have heard of someone locally that collects fabric scraps to fill pet beds for the local animal shelter. Been saving scraps but haven't that person. Anyone near citrus co florida out there know who this could be?
    Call your local humane society, pet adoption center, cat rescue, or such in your area. Some of these places let the pillow go with the animal that is being adopted.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I cut my batting scrap into 5 inch squares and then cut fabric scrap or fabric I don't LOVE anymore and make
    rag quilts

Good idea....I should do the same with all my batting scraps.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for a great idea...

I've been piecing my smaller batting pieces for a year or more now and using them in the smaller lap quilts. Once the quilting is done, there's no way these pieces will be known. I butt the edges together and stitch with a large zigzag, then cut to size.....I can't stand to throw bigger pieces away......much too much waste and now that cotton is so expensive, I'm glad I know how to conserve......it does make me feel good....

I do that too and did a bunch yesterday. I hate to throw batting away and it saves money too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast