Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Red flannel bled into the light blue, help!! >

Red flannel bled into the light blue, help!!

Red flannel bled into the light blue, help!!

Old 08-01-2011, 06:42 AM

I went to a quilt show last Friday and someone told me about the "retayne" (I'm not sure of spelling either!) that got out the red from a red and white quilt she had made. The red had been washed and dried prior to making the quilt and it still ran into the white. I will look for this stuff at our local quilt shop. I probably could have found it at the quilt show, but I was on my way out and was exhausted and had already spent too much money! Thanks for your help.
Originally Posted by SandyGail
I always wash flannel and most of my cotton if they are bright or in the red family. I just washed a red that I can not set. i used salt water, tried vingar--still bleeds. One quilt shop told me to try "retayne" or synthropol? She said most shops carry it. I am going to look for it--she was sold out.
Not sure of the spelling.
SandyGail
Old 08-01-2011, 06:43 AM

I am also afraid that after washing this quilt top it will not look good enough to give away, let alone trying to sell it!
Old 08-01-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by DeniseP
I went to a quilt show last Friday and someone told me about the "retayne" (I'm not sure of spelling either!) that got out the red from a red and white quilt she had made. The red had been washed and dried prior to making the quilt and it still ran into the white. I will look for this stuff at our local quilt shop.
Retayne does not work that way. It is a chemical solution that SETS dye. If an area that was red came out after being washed with Retayne, that means that it was just stained rather than the dye molecularly bonded with the fibres. And in that case, any good detergent, such as Synthrapol, would have done the job. In fact, any ordinary detergent like Tide or Era or whatever, would have done the job.

I am not out to tell anyone what they should or should not do but I am trying to provide accurate information.

One concern I have about Retayne is that it contains formaldehyde, which stays in any fabric it is applied to.

Strictly for myself, I would never use Retayne on anything intended for infant use. Babies put things in their mouths and have much lower bodyweight than adults, so they tend to get a heavier exposure to anything in their environment than an adult would.

However, someone else's risk/benefit analysis may well end up with a different outcome than mine. It isn't for me to say what other people should or should not do.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:51 AM

Thank you so much for this information. I will definitely not use this stuff at all. I don't want anything in my quilts that could harm anyone, baby or not.

Originally Posted by MsEithne
Originally Posted by DeniseP
I went to a quilt show last Friday and someone told me about the "retayne" (I'm not sure of spelling either!) that got out the red from a red and white quilt she had made. The red had been washed and dried prior to making the quilt and it still ran into the white. I will look for this stuff at our local quilt shop.
Retayne does not work that way. It is a chemical solution that SETS dye. If an area that was red came out after being washed with Retayne, that means that it was just stained rather than the dye molecularly bonded with the fibres. And in that case, any good detergent, such as Synthrapol, would have done the job. In fact, any ordinary detergent like Tide or Era or whatever, would have done the job.

I am not out to tell anyone what they should or should not do but I am trying to provide accurate information.

One concern I have about Retayne is that it contains formaldehyde, which stays in any fabric it is applied to.

Strictly for myself, I would never use Retayne on anything intended for infant use. Babies put things in their mouths and have much lower bodyweight than adults, so they tend to get a heavier exposure to anything in their environment than an adult would.

However, someone else's risk/benefit analysis may well end up with a different outcome than mine. It isn't for me to say what other people should or should not do.