Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Redwork: Do you need to use a hoop? >

Redwork: Do you need to use a hoop?

Redwork: Do you need to use a hoop?

Old 01-13-2012, 06:37 AM
KLO

Originally Posted by GreatStarter View Post
I have the same pattern sitting by my chair. Like a couple of you I plan on doing it in blue-the perfect color for winter I think. I am trying to decide what white fabric to use for the backround. What did you decide to use for the backround fabric/s?

Kat
As far as fabrics are concerned, I just pulled out some white on white cottons that I already had. A couple of them have a bit of a "snowy" look. I also pulled out some cream on cream fabrics as suggested in the pattern itself but I am not sure if I will use them or go hunting for more white on whites. Just don't know if I am going to like the mix of cream and white although it does show it that way in the photo. Anyone else have a feeling about this?

Last edited by KLO; 01-13-2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:44 AM
KLO

Tartan and QuiltMania, Thanks for the imput. Seriously, I love that everyone seems to say to do what works best for your own comfort level and taste. Nice to know that there aren't any quilt police taking me to task for wanting to try this pattern without a hoop. I worked on it a bit last night and am definitely better at this point without the hoop. The test will be when I finish the first block and check to see if it lies flat although I do check it every time I start a new length of thread. Fingers crossed.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:46 AM

I used to use a hoop but realized it was easier without. Just be sure not to pull the threat too tight. I've never had problems doing it this way. One thing I learned a few years ago was to use a thin flannel behind your background fabric and sew thru them both. Its so much better and you cannot see the threads that you might carry over from one area to the next.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:12 AM
KLO

Originally Posted by Donnamarie View Post
I used to use a hoop but realized it was easier without. Just be sure not to pull the threat too tight. I've never had problems doing it this way. One thing I learned a few years ago was to use a thin flannel behind your background fabric and sew thru them both. Its so much better and you cannot see the threads that you might carry over from one area to the next.
Good to know that another person was successful doing redwork the hoopless way. (I keep reading that as "hopeless" as I type it. Funny!) I am using muslin on the back so I am hoping that it will keep my work from bunching or showing knots. Thanks for the thumbs up on "hooplessness"!