Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to charge?? >

What to charge??

What to charge??

Old 01-11-2012, 07:36 PM

Default What to charge??

I need help quilters !!! Everybody is always asking me to make them a quilt and what would I charge ! I only do this because I love it and I wouldn't mind at all making them a quilt BUT I have no idea what to charge after of course what it cost to make it . So how do YOU figure it ? Say for a queen size which is usually what everyone wants ? For instance I have someone who wants the DRESDEN block, cause they love mine, what would you charge for that? Any input will help thank you all for reading and taking the time to share your experience with me !!!! Tks Darlene
Old 01-11-2012, 07:45 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

three times the cost of the material...
Old 01-11-2012, 07:49 PM

One way to figure cost is to figure the cost of materials--fabric, batting, and backing--then at least double it for your labor. Maybe even triple it. A Dresden block is very labor intensive, so I would charge more. Most people don't realize how much it costs to make a quilt. If they agree with your price, I would get at least half up front. It's very difficult to make any money for a quilt because most people don't want to pay what your labor is worth. Good luck.
Sue
Old 01-11-2012, 08:15 PM

have you made a quilt for everyone in your family that you want to? have you made all the quilts for yourself that you want to? suggest that people buy their fabrics and supplies (make a list) and come and take a lesson while YOU work on YOUR quilts... they will all disappear really quick... you want to quilt... just quilt...
Old 01-11-2012, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie View Post
One way to figure cost is to figure the cost of materials--fabric, batting, and backing--then at least double it for your labor. Maybe even triple it. A Dresden block is very labor intensive, so I would charge more. Most people don't realize how much it costs to make a quilt. If they agree with your price, I would get at least half up front. It's very difficult to make any money for a quilt because most people don't want to pay what your labor is worth. Good luck.
Sue
Thank you , and thats what I figured because no one can believe when I tell them how much I have in some of the quilts I've made...there like " your kidding me it costs that much , and thats not even your labor " and I say yep its cost alot more than what people realize !!
Old 01-11-2012, 08:33 PM

I find it easier to make quilts, and then if some one likes them, give them away or sell them. Once it becomes a "job" all the fun goes away.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:03 AM
SEW

from deemail's post "suggest that people buy their fabrics and supplies (make a list) and come and take a lesson while YOU work on YOUR quilts... they will all disappear really quick... "

haha! How right you are! I have used that tactic on many an occasion! But really, if I were to ever make a quilt for sale, I would have the customer shop the fabrics, batting, backing, thread and tell them upfront 3x's the cost of supplies. That way there are no surprises for the customer or you.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by deemail View Post
have you made a quilt for everyone in your family that you want to? have you made all the quilts for yourself that you want to? suggest that people buy their fabrics and supplies (make a list) and come and take a lesson while YOU work on YOUR quilts... they will all disappear really quick... you want to quilt... just quilt...
My thoughts exactly. But if you are wanting to do it, I agree with 3X cost of materials.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:17 AM

I agree. I will ususally quote a really BIG price so they will say no. I have only told one person that I don't quilt for pay because I knew she would pay what ever price I said. I quilt for fun not profit.
Originally Posted by SEW View Post
from deemail's post "suggest that people buy their fabrics and supplies (make a list) and come and take a lesson while YOU work on YOUR quilts... they will all disappear really quick... "

haha! How right you are! I have used that tactic on many an occasion! But really, if I were to ever make a quilt for sale, I would have the customer shop the fabrics, batting, backing, thread and tell them upfront 3x's the cost of supplies. That way there are no surprises for the customer or you.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:31 AM

I agree with the "get them to purchase supplies" idea. Not necessarily with the "3x the cost of the materials" idea. What is wrong with charging for your time? Is it that hard to figure how long it takes to make one unit of the quilt, multiply that times the number of units, and figure how much you want to get per hour? I do this all the time when quoting hand-quilting jobs for customers. Then add a 20-25% fudge factor. If I went with the first ballpark figure off my head I would be working for pennies.

Imagine if an artist priced his paintings at 3x the cost of materials. Or if you could get a beautiful, hand carved piece of furniture for 3x the cost of the wood. Or an Irish knit sweater for 3x the cost of the yarn.

I